11 May 2010

Initial Reaction to "The Candidate"

WOW. That definitely was the most shocking and emotionally heart-wrenching episode of the season so far. I think that I cried pretty much the entire time that I was watching it. It was beyond incredibly sad. I had to watch the episode three times just to get it to sink in, and I think I'm still in utter shock. I don't even know what to say right now, so let's just get into the episode before the waterworks come...

From Lostpedia

Here are some of my thoughts, questions, and theories on "The Candidate" (Some of which were written while viewing the episode.):

Questions:
  • Will John Locke from the flash-sideways be the candidate?
  • Where are Cindy and the kids?
  • Where did Charles Widmore get his list of names from?
  • Does Bernard know what's going on?
  • Why is Kate no longer a candidate? Why did Jacob "touch" her?
  • Where is Charlie's Drive Shaft ring?
  • Who put the C-4 inside the Ajira Airways plane?
  • Where are Richard, Ben and Miles?
  • What happens when you put the Smoke Monster in the water?
  • Does going in the water prevent MIB from turning into the Smoke Monster?
  • What happens if MIB leaves the island? 
  • How do you stop/kill MIB? 
  • Will Jack take over for Jacob? Will he kill MIB?
  • Does John Locke remember Jack form the island? If so, does he remember dying?
  • Will Jack Shephard end up fixing John Locke anyway? Is John Locke waiting for the island to fix him?
  • How does MIB know that the sub sank? How does he know that they're all not dead?
  • How can he finish what he started if he can't kill them?
  • Are MIB and Charles Widmore working together?
  • Who is the candidate?
From Lostpedia

Notes:
  • No "Previously on LOST" almost always guarantees a jam-packed, crazy episode. It delivered.
  • John Locke has a bandage above his eye. Too bad it's the wrong eye.
  • "I know you." John Locke
  • "You're a candidate." Jack
  • Jack tells John Locke that he's a candidate. So, is he THE candidate?
  • "I think that I could fix you." Jack
  • Why in the world wouldn't the real John Locke want Jack to fix him?
  • "Thank you for saving him." Helen
  • Helen is a little touchy-feely with Dr. Jack Shephard. I mean, John is sitting RIGHT THERE, lady.
  • Jack is kind of creepy in the flash-sideways world.
  • "At least you didn't have to paddle." Sayid
  • Always the comedian, Sayid.
  • Where the hell is MIB? Oh, there he is.
  • Did everyone die on the beach? Where are Cindy and the kids? Did they die off-camera?
  • "No way I'm getting back in those cages." Sawyer
  • Doesn't Widmore know that Kate can climb out of cages?
  • These nerds really suck at holding hostages.
  • "I've got the gun." Fan-boy "Not anymore, Dough-boy!" Sawyer
  • Charles Widmore with a gun is somehow hilarious to me.
  • "I have a list of names. Ford, you're on it. As are Reyes, and the Kwons. Kate Austen--she's not. It doesn't matter to me whether she lives or dies." Widmore
  • Charles Widmore putting a gun to Kate's head and Sawyer giving in reminds me of when Juliet pointed a gun at Kate to get Sawyer to surrender when they were building the runway in The Glass Ballerina.
  • Charles Widmore totally would've killed Kate. I still don't trust that dude.
  • "He's coming." Widmore
  • Why the hell did they move the fences? I can't understand this. It's a small island. Just surround the beach with the damn fences and the Smoke Monster won't even be able to get past the damn beach.
  • It's good to see Bernie again. I missed him.
  • "Oceanic 815. I sat across the aisle from you. Memory serves, you were flirting with my wife, Rose, when I was in the bathroom. It's pretty weird, huh? Well, maybe you're onto something here." Bernard
  • How the hell does Bernard remember two patients he had years ago?
  • Bernard seems to know something.
  • "The ones who weren't killed scattered into the jungle. It's just the three of us now." Sayid
  • Thanks for the info, Sayid.
  • Although, how convenient that must be. Less people to pay attention to. Cindy and the kids may still be alive, though. I'm worried about them. Maybe they're hanging out with Rose and Bernard in their cottage.
  • "They're not my people, and I'm not leaving this island." Jack
  • That's kind of harsh, Jack. They're not your people?
  • "Why should I trust you?" Jack "Because I could kill you, Jack. Right here, right now. And I could kill every single one of your friends, and there's not a thing that you could do to stop me. But, instead of killing you, I saved your life, and now, I want to save them too." MIB
  • Yeah, it does seem like you're going in circles, Sawyer.
  • "The caves I told you about, where all the names were written? Your name was there too, but it was crossed out. He doesn't need you, Kate." Sawyer
  • In the caves, Kate's name was crossed out, but in the Lighthouse, Kate's name wasn't crossed out. This could possibly be a continuity error, but it could also mean something. Perhaps, they are two different lists. One could be Jacob's; the other the Man in Black's. Perhaps, Jacob is trying to mask Kate's eligibility as a candidate for some reason. It could also be possible that there was a mistake made somewhere between the two lists of names. Did Jacob want everyone to think that Kate wasn't a candidate? If she isn't, then why did he visit her and "touch" her? Did she no longer become a candidate later on?
  • "I have your ring." Sun
  • Sun gives Jin his wedding ring, but does she still have Charlie's Drive Shaft ring? Give it to Claire, dammit, Sun! Ugh.. Why did they bother making her find it in the first place?
  • Speaking of which, where the hell is Claire?
  • JUST ONCE, can we PLEASE see him turn into the Smoke Monster? COME ON!
  • "And... We're dead." Hurley
  • Okay, Nerds. You can't freakin' shoot the SMOKE MONSTER.
  • DIE, NERDS! I don't know why, but I really enjoyed that.
  • Yo, Kate! Why not tell someone with maybe LONGER ARMS to get the damn keys? Like, say, oh, hell... maybe SAWYER, who happens to be STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO YOU.
  • At least Frank tries to bust the damn door down.
  • "I'm with him." Hilarious, Jack.
  • The Receptionist at the Old-Folks Home asks Jack "May I ask the nature of the visit?" Is "I'm a creepy stalker." a suitable answer?
  • Is it bad that I saw simultaneously completely freaked out and bursting with laughter at the sight of Anthony Cooper? I don't care if he's the awesomest dude ever in the flash-sideways. I don't feel bad for him at all. Perhaps, the flash-sideways is making him pay for what a douche he was in the other timeline.
  • Also, by the way, that was some great acting by Kevin Tighe as Anthony Cooper. He's really done a great job making them character as menacing as possible.
  • Did MIB learn his Ninja-moves from Sayid? That was awesome how he snapped that dude's neck like it was nothing, and then shot the other dude. He's quick.
  • Who built those awesome stairs?
  • MIB takes a watch off one of the bodies BEFORE he goes into the plane and supposedly finds C-4, which we never actually see inside the plane. Did he know it was there already? Did he put it there? Obviously he had some knowledge of what he was going to do with it considering he took the watch off the body before he even entered the plane to find any explosives. We never see him actually take out any C-4 from the plane. WE just see wiring and him making an angry face.
  • "His neck's been broken." Sayid
  • Well, Sayid, you ARE the expert on neck-breaking.
  • "He wants to get us all int he same place, at the same time. A nice, confined space we have no hope of getting out of, and then he wants to kill us." MIB
  • MIB uses his own plan to claim why Widmore wants to kill them. 
  • "If we're gonna leave the island, I think we have to take the submarine." MIB "Well, that's what I've been saying all along." Sawyer
  • How can Smokey leave in the sub if he can't go in the water?
  • "Dude, wait. He's not supposed to leave the island." Hurley
  • "I'll help you, but like I said, I'm not going with you." Jack "Fair enough." MIB
  • How can Smokey leave without Jack if he says that he needs everyone in order to leave the island?
  • "Hey, Doc, listen up. You don't want to leave this island, that's your own damn business, but I'm gonna ask you for one last favor. I don't trust that thing one bit, so here's what I need you to do: Once we get to the dock, you make sure it doesn't get on the sub." Sawyer "How am I supposed to do that? You saw what it did back there." Jack "Just get it in the water. I'll take care of the rest." Sawyer
  • How can Jack possibly stop the Smoke Monster?
  • While John Locke is sleeping he says "Push the button." and "I wish you had believed me." which is the same thing he said to Jack in the hatch and in his suicide note to him in 316.
  • Jack gets an Apollo Candy Bar out of the vending machine and offers it to Claire. Just like Jacob.
  • "I just flew in from Sydney a few days ago." Claire "When?" Jack "Last Wednesday." Claire "Oceanic Flight 815?" Jack
  • This is kind of awesome, because, while keeping with the original timeline that September 22, 2004 was, in fact, a Wednesday, it is also the same date and day of the week that the show premiered on, which is the day LOST used to always be on. I just thought it was cool that they mentioned it was a Wednesday, because I don't think that they have ever mentioned that before. Man, I miss LOST Wednesdays...
  • Christian Shephard left Claire a music box, which points to her being like Danielle Rousseau now.
  • The music box also plays Catch A Falling Star which is the song that Christian Shephard sang to both Claire and Jack when they were kids in the original timeline, but neither of them recognize it in the flash-sideways.
  • Also, Claire states that she never met her father. She did, however, in the original timeline.
  • Jack and Claire look in the mirror of the music box together.
  • "We're not strangers. We're family." Jack
  • At the dock, MIB sits back and lets Sawyer take charge.
  • MIB switches backpacks with Jack before they head towards the sub.
  • "Whoever told you that you needed to stay had no idea what they were talking about." MIB "John Locke told me I needed to stay." Jack
  • I LOVED that. This is what I like about Jack right now. He's carrying on the memory of John Locke.
  • Jack pushes MIB into the water, but nothing seems to happen.
  • I knew someone was going to get shot.
  • I actually felt something when I saw that it was Kate who got shot. I don't hate Kate or anything, but I really thought that I'd feel pretty indifferent about Kate getting hurt, or possibly dying. I guess I was wrong.
  • Claire is smokin' fools on the dock. When did she learn how to shoot like that?
  • MIB manages to hang on to his damn backpack after Jack pushes him in the water.
  • Again, MIB is total badass. Bullets are literally bouncing off of him.
  • "Trust me. You don't want to be on that sub." MIB
  • What about Claire? I felt bad for her when they all left her behind AGAIN.
  • Jack says that the bullet that hit Kate went straight through, so that probably means that she won't be right away, if she's going to die at all.
  • Ohhh.. So, THAT'S what Jack is always carrying that damn backpack everywhere for! It's chock-full of extra shirts!
  • HELLO, JACK? You might want to actually say something or take action instead of just standing there, silently, holding a damn bomb in your hands?
  • Jack is not quick on his feet.
  • The watch that MIB took off the body by the Ajira plane is on the bomb.
  • "We did exactly what he wanted." Jack
  • Also, I knew MIB was leading them there.
  • Yo, Lapidus! Tell Hurley that the First Aid Kit is right behind you.
  • "Nothing's gonna happen. Don't pull those wires out. We're okay. Nothing's gonna happen. Locke can't kill us. This is what he wanted. This is what he's been waiting for. Everything that he's done, has been to get us here. He wanted to get us all in the same place, at the same time. A nice, enclosed space, where we had no hope of getting out of. Locke said that he can't leave the island without us. I think that he can't leave the island unless we're all dead. He told me that he could kill any one of us whenever he wanted. So, what if he hasn't because he's not allowed to? What if he's trying to get us to kill eachother?" Jack
  • So, Jack really is the new Locke. Blowing shit up. He also sounds like a complete crazy person, so it fits.
  • I don't blame Sawyer. Jack sounds like a fucking nutcase. He just convinced them all to blow up a Hydrogen bomb and killed Juliet as a result of it. I would have done the same damn thing as Sawyer. Unfortunately, Jack was actually right this time. I guess there's a first time for everything.
  • Remember what I said about Sawyer being the only one who's thinking straight? Yeah... I was wrong.
  • Sawyer is like Season One Jack right now. No reasoning with him whatsoever.
  • I'm a little confused about something. So, Sawyer wouldn't have died anyway, because since he's the one who sent the bomb off, he can't kill himself, right?
  • "Listen carefully. There's a well on the main island, half a mile South from the camp we just left. Desmond's inside it. Locke wants him dead, which means, you're going to need him. Do you understand me?" Sayid "Why are you telling me this?" Jack "Because it's going to be you, Jack." Sayid
  • Although, I'm extremely sad that he died, I'm also glad that Sayid died heroically.
  • Desmond is alive. So, Sayid didn't trust MIB either. He saved his friends in the end.
  • How does Sayid know? Does he mean that Jack is going to kill MIB? Does he mean that Jack is going to become Jacob? How could he possibly know that?
  • "Aw, hell." Frank Lapidus 
  • Frank Lapidus gets pummeled by a heavy steel door. Some people are trying to hang on to something and say that he may not be dead, but I think that they need to face the facts. The dude is dead. I'm not happy about it, but I think that it would be kind of cheap if they brought him back and it turned out that he wasn't dead. I'm not saying I'm glad that it happened, because I liked Frank a lot, and I wish that we found out more about him, but in the end, the dude died in that submarine.
  • "There is no Sayid." Jack
  • Sun tells Jin to save himself, but he won't go.
  • Sawyer gets hit in the head and knocked out, so Jin tells Jack to go with Sawyer.
  • "I won't leave you. I will never leave you again. I love you, Sun." Jin "I love you." Sun
  • Sun and Jin's two hands breaking apart is like the saddest fucking thing ever. Seriously.
  • Another thing I'm wondering... If Jin died, that means he was able to kill himself, so does that mean that he wasn't the candidate and the "Kwon" on the wall was, in fact, Sun-Hwa Kwon?
  • Right after Sun and Jin die, we see Jin passing John Locke in the hospital in the flash-sideways. John seems to recognize him. Also, thanks for poking at an open fucking wound, writers.
  • Seriously, Jack? I think John Locke needs to put a Restraining Order on your ass.
  • "I was in a plane crash." John Locke
  • That was kind of creepy.
  • "What happened, happened, and you can let it go." Jack
  • I seriously thought Jack was about to say "I didn't fix you. You fixed me."
  • "What makes you think letting go is so easy?" John "It's not. In fact, I don't know how to do it myself. That's why I was hoping, maybe you could go first." Jack
  • Their conversation reminds me of the one they had in the hatch in Orientation, where John Locke asked Jack "Why do you find it so hard to believe?"
  • "I can help you, John. I wish you believed me."
  • John Locke seems to recognize a familiar situation.
  • Kate seems to be really upset about Jack.
  • The two times I totally lost it: 1. When the BRILLIANT Michael Giacchino's Life & Death theme started to play. That's when you knew it was totally over for the characters. And 2. When Hurley broke down. When Hurley cries, I cry. Enough said.
  • Jack has to go to the ocean to cry.
  • "It sank." MIB
  • "They're all dead?" Claire "Not all of them." MIB
  • MIB didn't let Jack die so that he could convince everyone to come with him. Just like Ben told John Locke: "If you can convince Jack, you can convince everyone."
  • For as much shit as they get, I think they should get credit this time. The submarine graphics were very good in this episode.
  • I love how it just constantly goes from day to night like it's nothing. When do these people sleep?
  • I'm kind of annoyed that I had to sit through yet another Jack flash-back/forward/sideways, but regardless, I still loved this episode, and I have to admit... It's taken me SIX SEASONS, but I'm starting to like Jack.
  • I really think that Jack should be the "Man in Black" figure because they are both the "Man of Science," and John Locke should have been the "Jacob" figure, because they are both the "Man of Faith." Perhaps, the real John Locke will come to the island from the flash-sideways.
  • Sawyer is good, MIB is better. That was like the longest con ever.
  • There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that MIB is completely pure evil now.
  • My theory is that Charles Widmore is somehow working with MIB because he's the one who pushed John Locke to go back to the island. In The Life & Death of Jeremy Bentham, he said "There's a war coming, John. And if you're not back on the Island when that happens, the wrong side is going to win." 
  • Sun, Jin, Frank Lapidus AND Sayid are all dead.
  • Sun and Jin's death=WAY better than Titanic.
  • Sayid's death + Jin and Sun's death=Charlie's death.
  • I'm crying like a damn baby right now. This was the saddest episode ever.
I still can't believe it. Four people died in this episode. FOUR. I had been saying last week that I kept feeling as though almost everyone was going to die at any given moment, but I definitely didn't think that FOUR people would die in one single episode. I'm very sad about it right now, and I will probably be mourning their deaths for a while, but I'm not angry. I definitely expected a lot of lives to be lost in the end. I truly understand why they had to die, and I'm just glad that they died with some sort of purpose. Sayid died heroically. He chose to die in order to save his friends. Sun and Jin died romantically. They were able to die in eachother's arms. There's not much more that you can ask for from a character death than that. I commend the writers for always having the guts to pull it off and to tug at my heart strings. Queue the Life & Death theme...


Sayid Jarrah
Captain Frank J. Lapidus
Sun-Hwa Kwon
Jin-Soo Kwon

You are LOST, but not forgotten.

Rest in Peace.

No comments: