19 May 2010

Initial Reaction to "What They Died For"

The Penultimate. It was everything I'd hoped it would be. Everything is finally starting to make sense now. This episode really set up the finale. It was even funny, which is something that I was not expecting at all, but also enjoyed a lot. I think that I'm finally starting to see the big picture and have idea of just how all of this is going to come together. Don't get me wrong, I still have no clue how it's going to end, but the options are becoming clearer more now than they ever have before. This episode also made a lot of things from last week's "Across the Sea" make a lot more sense to me. So, listen, haters. You were wrong. Admit it. Thank you. Now, we can be friends. So, let's talk about "What They Died For" because I can't wait to discuss it. This is going to be a long post.

From Lostpedia

Here are some of my thoughts, questions, and theories on "What They Died For" (Some of which were written while viewing the episode.):

Questions:
  • Why does Jack keep finding blood on his neck in the flash-sideways?
  • Will Jack remember the island?
  • Will Jack Shephard die?
  • Who is Jack's ex-wife and David's mother?
  • How does Desmond know about Christian Shephard?
  • Why would Desmond tell Jack that they found his father's body?
  • How can the "Man in Black" be killed?
  • Does Desmond know everything that's happened in the Island timeline now? Does he know that Ben tried to kill him and Penny?
  • Who told Ben where to summon the Smoke Monster?
  • Does Dr. Linus know everything that happened on the island now?
  • Why does Hurley see Jacob as a child?
  • Where did Miles go? Why did Ben give him a walkie-talkie?
  • Has Benjamin Linus resorted back to his evil ways?
  • Will Ben be the one to kill MIB?
  • How does MIB know about Penny? Will he kill her?
  • Does MIB's word mean anything?
  • How do you kill MIB? Can you even kill him? Will they?
  • Will Jack bring people to the island like Jacob now?
  • Will Ana Lucia find out about the island?
  • Does Hugo know everything that happened on the island now?
  • Where is Libby, and Penny?
  • Who let Desmond out of the well? Did Sayid? Did Jack get there first?
  • How will Desmond help MIB destroy the island? Will he be the one to kill MIB?
  • What exactly are all of the rules?
From Lostpedia

Notes:
  • The show opens with a close-up of Jack's eye, just as it has opened many times before. I wonder if the Series Finale (Oh, God. It's real.) will have one, and if so, whose it will be. I wonder.
  • Jack finds blood on his neck again in the flash-sideways. I'm getting the feeling that Jack is going to die before the end.
  • "You know, technically, opening a box of cereal is not making breakfast." Jack
  • David asks Jack if he's coming to the concert tonight, and says that his mother will be there. I'm starting to think that the mother is definitely Juliet, and the concert is definitely at the museum, where everyone else will be there with them.
  • "You're not gonna get all weird, are you?" David "Why would I get weird?" Jack "Just don't get weird." David
  • Yeah, David, he's definitely going to get weird.
  • At first, I was like "Who the hell is that chick in Jack's apartment?" I totally forgot that Claire was staying with Jack in Los Angeles. Jack and David are so awkward.
  • Desmond calls Jack and pretends to be Oceanic Airlines in a creepy voice. How the hell does Desmond know about Christian Shephard, and why would he tell Jack that they found him and he's arriving later today? Unless... He's wants him at the Airport. Hmmm... Rather curious, Desmond.
  • Really, Jack? It's going to hurt a bit? You're using a freaking shirt and a rusty nail or something to sew up a bullet wound. I'd say it's going to hurt A LOT. And you're worried about infection? Did you forget where you are? The Island will heal that wound up in no time. However, I'm not sure it can stop the infection that you're going to cause by sewing Kate up with your dirty clothes and shit you found on the beach. Again, with the bed-side manner, Jack. You must be Doctor of the Year.
  • "They had a little girl, you know. Her name is Ji Yeon. Jin hadn't even met her yet. Locke did this to them. We have to kill him, Jack." Kate "I know." Jack
  • Really, Jack? You know? Because two minutes ago you were just going that dude and ditching your friends who were trying to get off the damn island unlike your crazy ass.
  • Good job mentioning Ji Yeon, Kate. But, writers, seriously? Open-wound much? Come on.
  • I don't know how they're going to kill this dude. I just know that the first rule is that you don't let him talk to you. Which everyone has done a really crappy job at trying to do. Seriously. Get with the stabbing. Talk later. Be all Ninja-like like my boy Sayid was. Sad face. There will be no Break-Dancing Ninja-moves for the rest of the series. It's not the same without our favorite Iraqi Torturer. 
  • There is stuff from the submarine washing up on the beach, but one of them is definitely not Frank Lapidus
  • Kate rests her head on Sawyer's shoulder. Calm down, shippers. And writers, seriously, just stop. There's only one episode left. We can do without the love-triangle. Seriously, I look at Sawyer and Kate as almost brother and sister right now. But, then again, I don't really care.
  • "Before Sayid died, he said that Desmond was in a well. If Locke wants Desmond dead, then we're gonna need him." Jack
  • OMFG. He's going to run him over AGAIN?! Seriously, Desmond?
  • "I'm making a Citizen's Arrest." Ben 
  • Really, Ben? You might want to actually do something then. You know, instead of just standing there and claiming that you're going to make a "Citizen's Arrest" and then getting pummeled to the face by Desmond?
  • "I'm not here to hurt him. I am here to help him let go." Desmond
  • Apparently one of those punches really hit Michael Emerson, because he was walking around with a black eye. At least they used the take where he actually got hit. I read an interview where Michael Emerson talked about getting hit while shooting, but didn't mention who did the damage. I later read another interview where Henry Ian Cusick fessed up to it. So, when I watched this episode, I just put it together that it had to happen in that scene. Plus, you can see Michael Emerson get blatantly clocked in the face by Henry Ian Cusick. But, then, I listened to Geronimo Jack's Beard, who had Henry Ian Cusick as a Special Guest, and he told the whole story. You can also see a photograph of the shiner Michael Emerson was walking around with. Oh well, at least they used the take.
  • While being pummeled by Desmond, Ben flashes to the scene after he shot Desmond on the pier, and threatened Penny, when Desmond beat the crap out of him again, in Dead is Dead.
  • Finally, some Richard Alpert, Benjamin Linus, and Miles Straume time. Wait, what? They're still walking to the barracks? AND they're taking a shortcut? Really? How come it takes everyone else two minutes to get across the island and they've been gone for episodes and are still walking through the jungle? Can't they hitch a ride from the Smoke Monster? That would be awesome. More on that later.
  • "You sure this is a shortcut, huh?" Miles "I lived in these houses a long time, Miles. I think I can remember how to get there." Ben "Well, I lived in these houses 30 years before you did, otherwise knows as last week, and I have no idea where the hell they are." Miles "I guess it's a good thing you're following me." Ben
  • "It's been a long time. You sure it's still there?" Richard "It's C4, Richard. I put some thought into hiding it." Ben "Let me guess. Cookie jar?" Miles "Don't be ridiculous. It's in my secret room behind the bookcase." Ben
  • They finally get to the barracks, and Miles suddenly turns into the Ghost Whisperer again. He hears helicopter noises and ghosty-talking. Richard says that it's Alex. That he buried her there after he left. Right by her swing-set. How nice.
  • They go to Ben's house and to his hidden room, (Hey, remember when this was like HUGE a few seasons ago? That makes me laugh.) to get the conveniently placed C4, and guess who shows up? Yup. You guessed it. It's good old Charles Widmore and his sidekick, Zoe.
  • "What's that? A secreter room?" Miles "It's where I was told I could summon the Monster. That's before I realized that it was the one summoning me." Ben
  • Yeah, okay, Zoe. Like you didn't see that huge bookshelf that was pulled out?
  • "Hello, Benjamin. May I come in?" Charles Widmore
  • "I've had that plane rigged with explosives since I got here. As usual, Benjamin, I'm three steps ahead of you." Widmore "How did you get back here, Charles?" Ben "Jacob invited me." Widmore "That's a lie. You've never even seen Jacob." Ben "I most certainly have. He visited me not long after your people destroyed my freighter. He convinced me the error of my ways, and told me everything I need to know for this exact purpose." Widmore
  • If Widmore had the plan rigged with explosives since he got there, then why did MIB take the watch off the body BEFORE he even went into the plane? It was as if he already knew that he would find explosives in there, and that he had planned to make a bomb.
  • How exactly did Widmore get back to the island? Why would he not go on the freighter when it came to the island, but he came back now on the submarine? And when exactly did Jacob visit him?
  • Zoe magically gets to the dock in seconds, just in time to spot Locke and warn them that he's coming without him seeing her. Widmore tells her to run back, which shouldn't take very long considering she got there in seconds after she left them.
  • Oh, shut up, Dr. Linus. You don't have to be so pretentious. 
  • Dr. Linus looks in the mirror, and he looks just like he did after Desmond beat him up, and he got on the plane with a smashed up face and a sling in 316.
  • I love how John Locke has nothing but a bad-aid on his forehead after being run over by a speeding car. Also, the fact that he's already back at work astonishes me. Wouldn't you be in the hospital for weeks, if not months after that? Oh, well, I guess he got the magic touch from a Doctor Jack Shephard, huh?
  • "I got into a fight." Dr. Linus
  • Really, Dr. Linus? Really? Because it looked to me like Desmond beat the crap out of you while you just stood there and took it.
  • "I saw the man that ran you down, Mr. Locke. He was back. I approached him, and he just attacked me. And then the strangest thing happened. While he was beating me, I thin I saw something." Dr. Linus
  • I love anytime someone calls John Locke "Mr. Locke" because it reminds me of Walt.
  • "The man told me that he wasn't trying to hurt you. He told met that he was trying to get you to let go. And for some reason, I believed him. Do you have any idea what he was talking about, Mr. Locke? Does that mean anything to you?" Dr. Linus
  • "What's with the get-up? Somebody die?" James "The benefit at my dad's museum? The concert I've been telling you about all week? Ring a bell?" Miles "Yeah. It's all I've been thinking about." James "You can still be my date if you want to." Miles "That redheaded chick that hates me gonna be there?" James "Charlotte? Yeah." Miles "I'll pass." James
  • Um. Does Miles think he's in a relationship with Detective James Ford?
  • Listen, James. You can just ignore the redheaded chick. Jack Shephard's ex-wife, Juliet, is going to be there. Maybe you two could go dutch? She might like you. I'm just saying.
  • Desmond shows up at the Police Station for a visit.
  • "There was a hit and run a few days ago at Washington Tustin High School. And then, this morning, one of the teachers there was beaten badly by the same suspect. I'm the suspect." Desmond
  • "Thanks for saving the taxpayers the trouble of hunting you down." James "You're welcome." Desmond
  • "If Locke wanted Desmond dead, why didn't he just kill him?" Sawyer "Who knows. Maybe it's one of his rules." Jack
  • "The bomb on the sub. You said he couldn't' kill us." Sawyer "I've been wrong before." Jack "I kill them, didn't I?" Sawyer "No. He killed them." Jack
  • You're damn straight you've been wrong before, Jack.
  • "Give me the ashes." Jacob "What? Who are you?" Hurley "Give me the ashes you took from Ilana's things after she died. I know they're in your pocket." Jacob "Why?" Hurley "Because they're mine." Jacob "What do you want them for?" Hurley
  • Young Jacob suddenly turns into Old Jacob. But, how? And, why?
  • "Hello, Hugo." Jacob "Dude. I've been waiting for you to show up. Where ya been?" Hurley "Doesn't matter. I'm here now." Jacob
  • "My ashes are right there in that fire. When it burns out, you'll never see me again. You should get your friends. We're very close to the end." Jacob
  • Um. Maybe it's just me, but do ashes burn? I'm pretty sure that ashes are the result of burning. You might want to check your facts there, Almighty Jacob.
  • Widmore and Zoe hide in the secret room, Miles wants to go running into the jungle, Ben won't postpone the inevitable, and Richard wants to try to reason with the Smoke Monster. All brilliant ideas.
  • "I'm not interested in hiding. He's going to find me sooner or later anyway. I'd rather have it overwith." Ben
  • "These are both great plans, but I'm gonna go with surviving. If you need us, we'll be running through the jungle." Miles
  • "I'm gonna talk to him. I know this man. All he wants is for me to join him. And if I can get him to leave with me, maybe that'll give the rest of you a chance." Richard "Good luck with that." Miles
  • The Smoke Monster proceeds to toss Richard Alpert about two miles into the jungle.
  • I don't think that Richard is dead. At least, that's what I'm telling myself right now. Would they really just kill off Richard Alpert that way, without even seeing him actually die? No Life & Death theme even? Maybe Smokey just dropped him off in the jungle to get him away from Ben so that he could talk to him. Yeah, that's what I'm telling myself right now. I think I'll be really upset if they just offed Richard Alpert like that. I think he at least deserves a good death scene. Not that him being thrown into the jungle wasn't cool, but it was more funny than anything else. Richard Alpert deserves the Michael Giacchino treatment.
  • The look on Ben's face after the Smoke Monster throws Richard aside like he's nothing is priceless. He is completely terrified. Also, that scene was hilarious to me.
  • "Can I get you a glass of Lemonade?" Ben
  • "I need you to kill some people for me, Ben" MIB "And why would I do that?" Ben "Because once I leave this island, you can have it all to yourself." MIB "Alright." Ben
  • Ben gives up Charles Widmore easily.
  • "He's hiding in my closet." Ben
  • "Why would someone want to hurt you? You're like the nicest guy ever." Alex
  • I literally "awww"ed when I saw Danielle Rousseau.
  • Also, Danielle Rousseau is a MILF. I'm just saying.
  • "We insist. Even if we have to kidnap you!" Danielle
  • "It's so nice to be able to cook for someone other than Alex." Danielle "If you don't mind my asking, where is her father?" Ben "He died. When Alex was two. That's probably why she's so attached to you." Danielle "Excuse me?" Ben "All the interest you've taken in her, all the help you've given. You're the closest thing to a father she's ever had." Danielle
  • "I'm sure it's the onions." Ben "I'll put in less next time." Danielle
  • Oh. There's going to be a next time. Nice.
  • "Charles and his lady friend are in here. She's armed, but I'm guessing that's not a problem for you." Ben "Wait out here. You don't need to see this." MIB "I want to see this." Ben
  • Um. Lady friend?
  • "Sorry, Charles." Ben "What a pleasant surprise. How nice it is to be able to talk without those fences between us. And who might you be?" MIB "Zoe. My name is Zoe." Zoe "Don't talk to him. Don't say anything." Widmore
  • Evil Tina Fey immediately gets her throat slit by Smokey.
  • "Why would you do that?" Widmore "You told her not to talk to me, and that made her pointless." MIB
  • "Now, Charles. It's clear you're not afraid to die. So, there's only one way to motivate you to tell me what I want to know. Soon, this will all be over. I'll get what I want, and I'll finally leave this island. And when I do, the first thing I'm going to do is kill your daughter. Penny." MIB "You'll kill her whether I talk to you or not." Widmore "No, I won't. You have my word." MIB
  • I cannot figure out how in the world the "Man in Black" could possible know about Penelope Widmore. 
  • "And I'm supposed to take your word?" Widmore "You tell me why you came back here, and I won't hurt your daughter." MIB "I brought Desmond Hume back here because of his unique resistance to electromagnetism. He was a measure of last resort." Widmore
  • Charles Widmore won't say anymore in front of Ben, so MIB makes Ben leave the room and tells Widmore to whisper to him. Man, it sucks having to sit at the Kid's Table. Ben doesn't like it either, and he comes back in and shoots Widmore. I saw that one coming.
  • Maybe I'm wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong, but I think that Ben has a plan. Come on. He can't be evil again alright, right? They just had him show tremendous character growth like two seconds ago. I think that he just took the chance to kill Charles Widmore when the opportunity presented itself. He just finished walking over his daughter's grave. The wound is fresh in his mind. Charles Widmore deserved to pay for that (Him personally, not Penny.), and I don't blame him for what he did. I would have killed Charles Widmore if given the chance as well. I think that Ben has a plan, though, because Benjamin Linus always has a plan. He's going to double-cross the Smoke Monster somehow. He might even be the one to finally kill hm. Although, I won't be the least bit surprised if Ben resorts back to his old ways. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt right now though.
  • "He doesn't get to save his daughter." Ben "Ben, you never cease to amaze me. Fortunately, he had already told me what I need to know. So, no harm done." MIB "Good. Did you say there was some other people to kill?" Ben
  • Hurley brings Kate, James, and Jack to see Jacob.
  • "He's right there by the fire. He says hello." Hurley "I heard him." Jack
  • "So, you're the one that wrote our names on the wall?" Kate "I am." Jacob "Sun and Jin Kwon, and Sayid Jarrah. You wrote their names on the wall?" Kate "Yes." Jacob "Is that why they're dead?" Kate "I'm very sorry." Jacob "You're sorry? No, I want to know why. I want to know that Sun and Jin, and Sayid didn't die for nothing." Kate "Come and sit down and Ill tell you what they died for. I'll tell you why I chose them, and why I chose you. And then, I'll tell you everything you need to know about protecting this island, because by the time that fire burns out, one of you is going to have to start doing it." Jacob
  • Finally, someone is asking the right questions and making good points. No one ever gives Kate credit, so I'm doing it right now. Good job, Kate.
  • "He looks just like you." John Locke "Don't tell him that." Jack
  • I still can't get over how much that kid could pass as Matthew Fox's, or Jack Shephard's son. They really do a great job at casting child actors on this show. 
  • "Dr. Shephard, you and I were on the same plane from Sydney. You gave me your card. The next day, I threw it away. No offense." John "None taken." Jack "Anyway, then, a few days later, I get hit by a car, and of all the doctors in Los Angeles, I ended up with you. Then, after you saved my life, you still want to fix me, and I still don't want to be fixed. Okay. Then, the man who ran me down shows up at my school today, again. He beat up a teacher in the parking lot. But, do you know what he said to him? He said that he wasn't there to hurt me, he was there to help me let go. Which is exactly the same thing that you said to me the last time you and I saw eachother." John "I'm sorry. Are you saying that I sent this man to run you down?" Jack "No. But what if all this.. Maybe this is happening for a reason. Maybe you're supposed to fix me." John "Mr. Locke. I want to fix you, but I think you're mistaking coincidence for fate." Jack "You can call it whatever you want, but here I am, and I think I'm ready to get out of this chair." John
  • That's exactly what I would be saying if I were John Locke, Jack. I mean, you did seem rather creepy going around and stalking a man about wanting to fix him when he kept telling you no.
  • John Locke and Dr. Jack Shephard's conversation reminded me of what John Locke said to Jack on the island about "What if everything that happened here, happened for a reason?" in White Rabbit, and John Locke's conversation with Mr. Eko in the hatch, when talking about the Orientation film and how they both had parts of it, to which Mr. Eko replied "Do not mistake coincidence, for fate." in What Kate Did.
  • "I don't really know where to start." Jacob "How about with why you brought us to the island?" Hurley "I brought all of you here because I made a mistake. A mistake I made a very long time ago, and now, because of that, there's a very good chance that every single one of you, and everyone you've ever cared about is going to die." Jacob "What mistake?" Sawyer "You call him the Monster, but I'm responsible for what happened to him. I made him that way. And ever since then, he's been trying to kill me. It was only a matter of time before he figured out how, and when he did, someone would have to replace me. And that's why I brought you all here." Jacob "Tell me something, Jacob. Why do I gotta be punished for your mistake? What made you think you could mess with my life? I was doing just fine until you dragged me to this damn rock." Sawyer "No, you weren't. None of you were. I didn't pluck any of you out of a happy existence. You were all flawed. I chose you because you were like me. You were all alone. You were all looking for something that you couldn't find out there. I chose you because you needed this place as much as it needed you." Jacob
  • "Why did you cross my name off of your wall?" Kate "Because you became a mother. It was just a line of chalk in a cave. The job is yours if you want it, Kate." Jacob
  • Okay, I have a little bit of a gripe with this. First of all, I have to say, that I do like that that Jacob said "You needed the island as much as it needed you." and that they were all lost before they got there. That's cool. But, that doesn't mean that they all deserved to suffer being stuck on a damn island with people constantly trying to kill them. Just because Sawyer already had a crappy life doesn't mean that it makes it okay for Jacob to make his life even crappier by having him grow as a person, fall in love with Juliet, just to have her killed right when Sawyer reaches his potential. And another thing, Kate gets her name crossed off the damn wall because she became a "mother" but Sun and Jin are still candidates? Claire was pregnant when she came to the damn island. Sawyer has a kid, too. Just because he's not in her life doesn't mean that he would never have been. I don't think all of these reasons are exactly fair. 
  • Also, it has nothing to do with being a "good" or a "bad" person at all.
  • "What is the job?" Jack "There's a light at the center of the island. You have to make sure it never goes out. That's how you protect it." Jacob "Your Monster friend said there was nothing to protect it from." Sawyer "You have to protect it form him. You must do what I couldn't, what I wasn't able to do." Jacob "You want us to kill him? Is that even possible?" Jack "I hope so, because he is certainly going to try to kill you." Jacob "So, how you gonna pick?" Hurley "I'm not going to pick, Hugo. I want you to have the one thing that I was never given. A Choice." Jacob "And if none of us chooses it?" Kate "This ends very badly." Jacob "I'll do it. This is why I'm here. This is what I'm supposed to do." Jack "Is that a question, Jack?" Jacob "No." Jack "Good. Then it's time." Jacob
  • Who didn't know that Jack was the one who was going to choose?
  • I have another problem with what Jacob said. He wants to give everyone a choice, but it hasn't exactly been a choice. I mean, do you think that all of these people wanted to come to the island, Jacob? You didn't give them a choice in that.
  • One one hand, it makes me sick that Jack is going to be the "chosen" one now, but on the other hand, I kind of like it. I like it because he's carrying on John Locke's "message" and has finally become a believer. But, seriously, come on. Ugh, Jack is always the one and he always makes so many mistakes. Alright, I'm going to live with it. As long as he's not an ass about it.
  • Now I'm starting to wonder if Jack will bring people to the island. It would be really cool if Walt, Aaron, Ji Yeon, and Charlie Hume ended up there.
  • "And I thought that guy had a God-complex before." Sawyer
  • You're telling me, James.
  • I really feel like Jack's going to end up dying now. I don't know why.
  • "Remember the bamboo field you woke up in when you first got here?" Jacob "Yeah." Jack "Beyond that field, across the ridge, is the hart of the island. That's where the light is. That's where he's trying to go. And that's what you have to protect." Jacob "Past the bamboo? There's nothing out there." Jack "Yes, there is, Jack. And now you'll be able to get there." Jacob
  • So, MIB posing as Christian Shephard while Jack was chillin' in the bamboo field when they first crashed there, was like two feet away from the damn light and he didn't even know it. And if only Jack had just run the other way instead of going to the damn beach, LOST would have been a very short series.
  • So, do you have to be the chosen one in order to see the light? Then how can Smokey?
  • Jacob speaks Latin like "Mother" did, Jack conveniently has a cup, and Jacob gives him water to drink. Man, Jacob got to drink the damn wine, and all Jack gets is some water. Pretty symbolic, though. It's like communion from Jacob.
  • "How long am I gonna have to do this job?" Jack "As long as you can." Jacob
  • Jack is now the new Jacob, and he looks to have an all-knowing presence to him. Is he enlightened now?
  • "Now you're like me." Jacob
  • Detective James Ford tells Sayid, Kate, and Desmond they're being shipped off to County Jail.
  • "You could still let me go." Kate "Why the hell would I do that?" James "Because, I told you I was innocent, and you believe me." Kate
  • "I think it's time to leave." Desmond
  • "You're gonna have to give me your trust. Because, after I set you free, I'm going to ask each one of you to do something. And you're gonna have to promise me that you'll do it." Desmond
  • Desmond asking for them to do something for him in return is very Smokey-like.
  • The driver of the Police transport vehicle stops, and it's.. Ana Lucia! 
  • "Where's your friend with my money? Otherwise I'm gonna have to say I shot all of you trying to escape." Ana Lucia
  • Um, well. What were you going to say anyway, Ana Lucia?
  • Who didn't know that yellow Hummer was Hurley?
  • "Sorry I'm late, dude. Oh, hey. You didn't tell me Ana Lucia was going to be here." Hugo "Do I know you, tubby?" Ana Lucia "Oh, no. We've never met." Hugo
  • "She's not coming with us?" Hugo "No. She's not ready yet." Desmond
  • Uh, Desmond. Eloise WIDMORE said that YOU weren't ready yet either.
  • Hugo brings Desmond his Camaro, which is awesome.
  • "We are going to a concert." Desmond
  • Kate goes with Desmond, and Sayid goes with Hugo, but why?
  • "Hey, can I ask you something?" Ben "Shoot." MIB "If you can turn yourself into Smoke whenever you want, why do you bother walking?" Ben "I like to feel my feet on the ground. It reminds me that I was human." MIB
  • That's the same question that I was wondering, Ben. If I were the Smoke Monster, I'd be zipping around that island like nobody's business.
  • "Are you thirsty?" Ben "This is the well I threw Desmond Hume into." MIB "What's the matter?" Ben "I sent Sayid to kill Desmond. Obviously he didn't." MIB 
  • There is a rope going down the side of the well.
  • "Looks like someone helped him out." Ben "No, Ben. Someone helped me out." MIB "What did Widmore say to you?" Ben "He said Desmond was a failsafe. Jacob's last resort in case I, God-forbid, manage to kill all of his beloved candidates. One final way to make sure that I never leave this place." MIB "Then, why are you happy he's still alive?" Ben "Because I'm going to find Desmond, and when I do, he's going to help me do the one thing that I could never do myself. I'm going to destroy the island." MIB
  • Uh, yeah, Man in Black. You JUST told Ben that he could have the island, and now you're saying that you're going to destroy it. Doesn't that go back on your word? Or is it technically not a lie if you leave Ben on the island to have the island to himself while he waits for it to sink?
  • Josh Holloway, Evangeline Lilly, Matthew Fox, and Jorge Garcia did a great job in this episode.
  • When this episode began, I remember thinking "Seriously? ANOTHER Jack episode? This is starting to feel like Season Two." Thank God it wasn't.
  • The one thing that I want to know in the end is the answer to the question "What is the island?"
  • I'm more confused now than ever, as always.
    In four days, it's all going to be over. Oh, that's one of the numbers! Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I can't believe that I'm FINALLY going to know the ending of LOST. I was hooked from day one. I remember seeing the promos that were constantly played by ABC in the summer of 2004. I remember recognizing a few people from other shows and films. Namely, Harold Perrineau from OZ, and Dominic Monaghan from The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I was big fans of both OZ, and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and also both actors, so I probably would have given LOST a chance regardless of what it was about. But, it was so much more than that. Before watching the show, I already knew that there was something about it that was intriguing to me. It was a Mystery, and also an Action/Adventure story. Then, I found out that it was created by J.J. Abrams. I didn't know that much about J.J. back then, but I knew that he had created Alias, and that he was highly regarded in the world of film, television, and amongst his peers. Well, needless to say, I was sold. And on September 22, 2004, I embarked on a journey with millions of other people all over the World that didn't know eachother and had yet to find out that they all were connected in some way because of what seemed like merely a television show. What we all soon would find out is that it wasn't merely that. It was so much more. With J.J. Abrams, in the start, and Damon Lindelof from the beginning, who then added on the Carlton Cuse to steer the ship with him, it became so much more than just a television show. It became a Collective Consciousness of people all over the World, bouncing ideas off eachother, discussing, in-depth, Literature, Religion, Philosophy, Mathematics, Science, Life, and Human Nature, and all because of this one idea that a man named Jeffrey Lieber at ABC had, and J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof decided to develop together.

    Six years ago, we all embarked on this journey together, and together, we will all put it to rest. Who would think that a television show could be so powerful? This show has changed me. I was just twenty-one years old when it started, six years ago, and now I'm twenty-seven. These have been formative years for me, and LOST has, in a way, helped me find who I really am. Because, before all this, I was just like all of these characters, and in a lot of ways, I still am. And that's okay. Because it's the journey that matters the most, not the destination. I just wanted to thank anyone who has ever read this. It's been one hell of a ride, and I've enjoyed every single minute of it. I'm proud to have been a part of it with all of you.

    No comments: