30 March 2009

The Season So Far

I've been having some thoughts on this season as a whole, so I decided to do a blog about the season so far, my thoughts, and what my expectations are for the rest of this season, with a little less than half way to go.

First off, this season has gone somewhat differently than I had originally expected. I had initially thought that it would be all about getting back to the island, and then, that next season would be all about the reunion and what happens next (i.e. will they stay on the island, destroy it, etc.). I really didn't expect to see a close-up of Jack's eye and him on the jungle floor, surrounded by bamboo again until, at least, the end of this season, but more likely next season. I was quite surprised and befuddled to see the Oceanic 6 back on the island in episode 6, 316.

I've also felt somewhat disappointed and with something left to be desired this season. Although, I have enjoyed many parts of the story, I'm missing my favorite characters. The show just feels kind of empty to me without much of Desmond, Sayid and John Locke. The stories that I find myself enjoying the most are the tragic ones. And although I am a huge fan of Michael Emerson (he's probably my favorite actor on the show), and Benjamin Linus' story because I think it is probably one of the most interesting, well-thought-out, well-written, well-acted and most cunning stories to ever brace the television screen, I'm still feeling a bit empty. Not to mention that I kind of hate Ben now for one, killing John Locke even if he is, to our knowledge, alive again, and two, possibly killing, or harming in some way, Penny and Charlie or Desmond. I will just completely despise him for that. It's a good thing that Sayid shot that little bastard in the chest.

I'm also feeling a bit restless with some of the storylines. The Oceanic 6 bored me to death the whole time. I just wanted to get back to the island. And now that we're back on the island, I'm bored to death with the campy relationship crap. I just want to know where Rose and Bernard are already, or what the hell happened to Desmond and Penny. And speaking of Desmond and Penny, if there is one relationship, one love-story on the show that I actually want to see, it's that one. Because I believe that it is the most realistic, most believable and relatable, relationship arc on the show. Because Desmond and Penny deserve a true happy ending, of which I am growing more and more weary and disappointed by because I fear that is in jeopardy, and instead I'm going to end up seeing Kate with whomever the hell she chooses this week. Ugh, just sickens me. Desmond and Penny FTW.

The time-travel business has been a bit confusing, to say the least. If there are rules that are set-in-stone, as Daniel stated, that whatever happened, happens, that you can't change the past, then it makes me wonder if that is actually true, or if they're broaching some paradox here.

Questions:
  • Are they allowed to change things or are they not?
  • Is Sayid shooting Ben a paradox?
  • Does he stop the purge and hostile take-over by Ben from happening?
  • Why is Desmond special?
  • Where the hell are Rose and Bernard?
  • Did they land in a different time?
  • Are they with the hostiles, in the caves, in another Dharma station?
  • Where is Daniel? Is he working with Pierre Chang?
  • Is there really course-correction?
  • Where the hell is Claire?
  • Is Christian Shephard dead or alive already?
  • Is Richard Alpert a time-traveler?
  • Did he turn the frozen donkey wheel? Is that why he stopped aging?
  • Who are the original inhabitants of the island?
  • What happened to Aaron?

My expectations for the rest of this season are to find out more about the Dharma Initiative, possibly the DeGroots and Pierre Change, about Charles Widmore, if he was born on the island and how he became leader, Richard Alpert and why he doesn't age, how he got to the island, Rose and Bernard, what happened to Aaron and why Kate is back on the island, who or what convinced Hurley to go back, Desmond and Penny, what Ben did to them, and if Desmond will return to the island, to see Walt again, Daniel Faraday and his work on the island, and finally, the incident.

For the past handful of episodes, I've certainly felt as though we are building up to something big. It seems as though all of the stories that I'm looking for them to get back to (i.e. Desmond and Penny, Rose and Bernard, Daniel) will be returning by the end of the season in some sort of dramatic fashion, and I'm excited about that happening, though I'm not certain it will happen.

I don't read any spoilers whatsoever, not since I got impatient and spoiled myself during Season 2 (Desmond in the hatch, Shannon's death). I don't even like knowing the episode titles or watching the previews for next week. Even the Official LOST Podcast gets a bit too spoilery for me sometimes (the title of the season finale episode was recently given). So, I really don't know what will happen.

Regardless of what happens, within some reason, I'm along for the ride. I haven't speculated nearly as much this season as I have in season past. Mainly because it's season 5 now, the show is almost over, and I just want to sit back and enjoy it until the end.

No comments: