26 August 2010

Analysis of Epilogue, "The New Man in Charge"

Wow. It's been a while since I've done this. I'm a little rusty. I've been writing a post about the Finale, "The End" and my thoughts on the entire series, and the aftermath of everything for a few months now, but I still haven't even come close to finishing all of my thoughts and theories on the whole matter, so that's going to have to wait for bit. So, before I finished doing all of that, I figured I'd brush up on some LOST because I've been thinking about it again a lot lately.

I haven't bought the LOST Season Six DVD Set as of yet, and I have the first Five Seasons already, so I'll be holding off from buying the LOST Complete Collection Box Set for at least a little while, but I had a chance to watch  the 12-Minute Epilogue, titled "The New Man in Charge," online a few weeks ago when it was leaked, and now that the DVD has finally come out, I figured I'd do some writing about it. This is the last new footage that I will probably ever write about LOST, so that's kind of sad. Well, that is unless they come out with something new, which I could see ABC/Disney doing, so maybe that's a lie. 

After I finish this, and my post about the Finale and everything else, I'm going to be dong a re-watch of Season Six, in the same style that I've done Seasons before, and then a re-watch and analysis of the entire Series, which will be different than everything else I've done. I plan to focus on analyzing each episode with the knowledge of having watched the entire Series, which should be interesting and a lot of fun. I really want to go back and reflect on everything, because I feel like then, and only then, will this entire experience come to an end. But, let's be realistic, this whole thing is never going to be over for me. I'm going to be watching and thinking about LOST for the rest of my damn life, so deal with it. It comes with the territory now.

From Lostpedia

Here are some of my thoughts on "The New Man in Charge," the answers we got from it, more questions that were posed, and some theories on those leftover, unanswered questions:

Notes:
  • Present Day--Two men, Hector and Glenn, are in the DHARMA Logistics Warehouse, in the Orote Peninsula, Guam, while labels for DHARMA Initiative Peas are being printed and boxes are being packed for shipment.
  • Hector is taking his time labeling the Peas, while Glenn is sweating missing their launch window, telling Hector that he already has the pallet loaded.
  • Surprise. Benjamin Linus shows up unannounced.
  • "My name is Benjamin Linus. I'm from the Home Office."
  • Every time Ben says "My name is Benjamin Linus.", I have to say "And I've lived on this Island my whole life." It's funny how important that line was way back when. I'm glad I can laugh at things like that now, instead of overly analyzing them.
  • Hector says that no one from the Home Office has ever come out there to visit them, but Ben says that there's a new man in charge now. Hmm.. I wonder who that could be.
  • Ben says that their services are no longer required, that they're closing the Warehouse down. Hector says that they've been loading the pallets for 20 years now.
  • Ben hands them an envelope filled with money. Their severance pay, he says.
  • Damn, that's a lot of money. The fake DHARMA Initiative pays a lot to keep your mouth shut.
  • Glenn asks if Ben works for the DHARMA Initiative, but Ben says that they haven't existed for almost 20 years now.
  • "That's not true. We still get a teletype before every drop." Hector "It's automated. Comes from The Lamp Post Station in LA. There hasn't been a person posted there since you two started. That's why the man in charge has me going around, closing up shop." Ben "Lamp Post Station?" Glenn "I've already said more than I should've. Before you leave, please lock the doors, and turn out the lights." Ben
  • I love the look on Michael Emerson's face when he says "I've already said too much." Oh, Ben.
  • Hector and Glenn won't let up, so Ben decides to allow them both to ask one question each before he leaves.
  • "Where have we been sending these palettes? Where are they dropped?" Glenn "An Island." Ben "How's that possible? The coordinates are different every time." Glenn "The Island moves." Ben "How does the Island..." Glenn "Uh-uh! One question. Your turn." Ben "We're on Guam. So, this Island is somewhere in the tropics, right? So, explain this. Polar bear biscuits. How is there a polar bear on a tropical island?" Hector "Polar bears, actually. Plural. You guys have a DVD player?" Ben
  • Ben shows them a DVD of The Hydra Orientation film. He says that they watch it together, and then they all leave, asks them if that's a deal, they say yes.
  • "Sorry about the quality. It's a transfer from an old Beta-max." Ben
  • "Hello, I am Dr. Pierre Chang, and this is the Orientation Video for Station One of the DHARMA Initiative, The Hydra. For purposes of security, please do not divulge my name to any outside parties. I wouldn't want to have to resort to using an alias in the future. The chief purpose of this Station is to conduct Biological and Behavioral Research on various animal, bird and marine subjects. Here are some of the duties you may be asked to perform. Genetic Alteration. These fascinating hybrids, or "hy-birds" as we call them, will be released and monitored to see how they adapt to the unique properties of the Island... successful advanced studies in larger mammals. Ursus Maritimus, or polar bears, possess a keen sense of memory and adaptability. These traits make them ideal candidates for electromagnetic studies that will be conducted at a secondary site where their comfort in cold temp.. It's very important that when dealing with the bears that you do not show affection or become attached in any way. Also, do not underestimate their intelligence and cunning. These rules must always be followed. I repeat, the bears are not your friends. Rewarding the bear with a Fish Biscuit, once it has successfully performed a complex puzzle. After the training is completed, you will tranquilize the bear. Affix this tracking device around the subject's neck. At which point it will be transported to The Orchid Station for the next phase of research. Remember, be sure to confirm that the female bears have not been impregnated before transport, as the electromagnetic levels at The Orchid have an extremely harmful effect on early term gestation. As you've already learned, we do animal research here at The Hydra. Unfortunately, one must consider the most dangerous animal of all, humans. And so, there is another more secluded test site, where we are conducting significantly more sensitive work. The island's indigenous population, some of you may have heard them referred to as "Hostiles", are acquired on the main island, sedated and brought here, to Room 23. Because the subjects are unwilling participants, security personnel should always be present during these sessions. Under no circumstances are you to engage subjects in conversation. The purpose of these interrogations is to better understand the Hostiles' way of life, their origins, and particularly their worship of an island deity they refer to as "Jacob". After the research team has concluded their tests, inject this into the back of the subject's neck. Then place these goggles over his or her eyes. Hitting this switch will commence the visualization while the drugs take effect. The dream-like quality of the film, combined with the cutting edge pharmaceuticals will create an amnesia of sorts. Any memory of his or her interrogation will be effectively wiped clean. While these interrogative measures may seem extreme, rest assured, they are vital...our temporary truce with the Hostiles is not violated. This concludes your orientation of The Hydra Station. Good luck, and remember, do not discuss the nature of these experiments with other members of the Initiative. Enjoy your time here on Hydra Island. Namasté and good l..."
  • You wouldn't want to resort to using an alias in the future? Very funny, Dr. Chang.
  • "I think we're gonna need to see that again." Hector "Sorry, we're out of time." Ben "What did they do to those bears? And what the hell's a 'Hostile'?" Hector "Goodbye, gentlemen. I have another call to make. Namasté." Ben
  • Ben goes to Santa Rosa Mental Health Institute and visits someone named Keith Johnson. He asks the woman at the desk to give him a note, because he's not on his visitors list.
  • I wonder who that could be.. Oh, right. It's WAAAAAAAALT!
  • Of course, Walt is playing Connect Four. As he should be.
  • "Like my note said, a friend of yours sent me." Ben "I don't have any friends." Walt "We all have friends. Even me." Ben
  • I love how Ben has accepted the fact that he's been evil in the past and that everyone thinks of him that way. 
  • "You here to kidnap me again?" Walt "I'm genuinely sorry about that. But, what's done is done. I can't change the past. I can only take responsibility for it. Walt, I understand what you've had to go through. I know the difficulties you've had pretending to be someone you're not. Walt, I'm here to help you." Ben "Why?" Walt "Because you're special. And I bet nobody's told you that in a very long time." Ben "What good does that do me?" Walt "We need you. You have work to do. Starting with helping your father." Ben "My father's dead." Walt "Doesn't mean you can't help him. Will you go with us, Walt?" Ben
  • Ben takes Walt from Santa Rosa, to a DHARMA Van waiting outside.
  • "Come on, it's okay. You ride shotgun." Ben "Dude." Hurley "Hurley." Walt "It's great to see you, Walt." Hurley "I kept hoping, one day, somebody would come back for me. They said I was crazy." Walt "You're not crazy, dude. Not even close. You just need to get back to the Island, that's all. It's where you belong. It's where you've always belonged." Hurley "Why?" Walt "I wanna talk to you about a job. All right, Ben, let's get out of here. It's time for us all to go home." Hurley
  • The Island is where they all belong.
From Lostpedia

Answers:
  • The DHARMA Initiative food drops were coming from present time.
  • The Lamp Post Station sent an automated message to initiate the food drops being sent to the Island.
  • There are different coordinates for each food drop, accounting for the fact that the Island is constantly moving.
  • Someone must have released Dr. Pierre Chang's identity, which is the reason for his aliases, such as Dr. Marvin Candle, and Edgar Halliwax, in future DHARMA Orientation films.
  • The "Hurley" bird was genetically altered in someway.
  • The polar bears were used for electromagnetic studies, were used at The Orchid Station, and probably turned the Frozen Donkey Wheel.
  • The electromagnetic properties on the Island caused the pregnancy issues.
  • The DHARMA Initiative used Room 23 on the Hostiles, to find out more about their origins and their worship of a man named "Jacob." The Hostiles were also drugged to erase their memory of being interrogated.
  • Walt's alias after he left the Island was "Keith Johnson."
  • His memory of the Island and his father haunted him, sending him to Santa Rosa Mental Health Institute.
  • Walt went back to the Island with Hurley and Ben.
Questions:
  • Why is Hurley closing up the Warehouse for the food drops?
  • Where is all the money for the food drops and severance pay coming from?
  • Does Santa Rosa have any games besides Connect Four?
  • Why is Walt special?
  • What work does Walt have to do?
  • How will Walt help his father, Michael?
  • How does Walt even know that Michael is dead?
  • How the hell did a DHARMA van get off the Island?
  • Will Walt be one of Hurley's candidates?
  • Does Hurley want Walt to take his place as leader of the Island?
Theories:
  • If the coordinates are different every time, then we can assume that there is some sort of Mathematical Equation that constantly predicts where exactly the Island will be next. I'm guessing that's the same thing that Eloise Hawking used at The Lamp Post when she figured out how to get everyone back to the Island with the pendulum, in 316
  • The polar bears definitely were used to push the Frozen Donkey Wheel, moving the Island, as Charlotte discovered, in Confirmed Dead, and Ben actually did himself, at The Orchid, in There's No Place Like Home.
  • Considering that Hurley and Ben got off the Island to get Walt, I'm assuming that they brought Desmond back to Penny and Charlie as well. They damn well better have. I wonder if they visited anyone else.
  • I believe that Walt was the next one in charge of the Island, which is awesome.
Overall, I didn't really absolutely need to see this Epilogue. Of course, it was nice to see Walt again, and to have a little more to see after it all was over. But, it wasn't necessary to me. If you've ever read this blog before, you'd know that I definitely wasn't one of the people that needed everything answered. I was fine with some things being left open-ended. In fact, I felt as if they over-explained things a little too much for my taste sometimes. I know that a lot of people could not feel more different, and that's fine. It is a little something extra to enjoy. 

If you haven't had the chance to get the Season 6 DVD/Blu-Ray or the Complete Collection Box Set, or just simply can't afford it, you can watch "The New Man in Charge" here.. Although, it's probably a little late to be saying this because I've just spoiled you on everything that happens in the whole damn Epilogue.  

L      O      S      T

No comments: