06 July 2011

Episode Analysis of 1.06 "House of the Rising Sun"

WARNING: If you have not already seen all of LOST, please DO NOT READ THIS.

My LOST re-watch and episode analysis will include major details from the entirety that is LOST, and will be written with the perspective of having seen everything already. You will be SPOILED if you read any further. It is far better if you learn the story of LOST for yourself, as it is meant to be seen. Trust me on this, and don't say that I didn't warn you first. Seriously. Stop it. Now. Go watch it.

To read my original post on this episode, please refer to House of the Rising Sun.

This episode was written by Javier Grillo-Marxuach, and directed by Michael Zinberg. It originally aired on October 27th, 2004.

This is a Sun Hwa-Kwon flashback-centric episode.


We begin with the opening of Sun Hwa-Kwon's eye. She's picking flowers from plants on the Island. She smells one of them. On the beach, at the shore-line, her husband, Jin-Soo Kwon, is fishing. Nearby, Jack and Kate do a horrible job at flirting. Charlie makes fun of them, as would I.

KATE: "It's not like I'm asking a personal question."

JACK: "It is a personal question."

KATE: "You don't have to get all quiet on me. I just want to know."

[Camera switches to shot of Kate putting water into backpack on Jack's back.]

JACK: "Well, you're not going to know."

KATE: "What's the big deal?"

JACK: "It's not a big deal. It's just something I did. I had my reasons. And I don't want to put it out there."

[Camera switches to Sun watching them for a second when Jack says "I had my reasons."]

KATE: "It's just that you and your tattoos don't add up. Are you one of those hard-core spinal surgeons?"

[Shot of them getting gear together for a hike.]

JACK: "That's me. Hard-core."

[Shot of Charlie with his pack.]

CHARLIE: "If you guys are finished verbally copulating we should get a move on. There's a whole beach of people waiting for us to get some drinking water for them. And the great white hunter's getting restless."

[Shot of Locke shaving with a straight-edge and a piece of broken mirror. Shot of Jack.]

JACK: "Okay, let's do this."

KATE: "Hey, Charlie. Ask Jack about his tattoos."

CHARLIE: "Oh, you guys have an inside joke. How absolutely wonderful for you both."


Jack, Kate and Charlie begin to leave for their hike, as Sun watches. At the shore, Jin hits a fish against a rock to kill it, and Sun is disgusted as she enters her flashback.


Sun is at a party, talking and laughing with people. A waiter carrying a tray with glasses of champagne approaches her and offers her a glass. The waiter is Jin. Sun takes a glass and smiles at him. As Jin smiles back, he carries on to offer other guests some champagne, as Sun watches and smiles to herself.

Later on, Sun sits under a gazebo, as Jin approaches her.

JIN: "Miss. [Subtitle] You left something."

SUN: [Jin kisses her.] [Subtitle] "Really? What? My father?"

JIN: [Subtitle] "He's busy being a host."

SUN: [Subtitle] "We need to get away. Now."

JIN: [Subtitle] "Where?"

SUN: [Subtitle] "America."

JIN: [Subtitle] "Sun, look at me. I love you—but I don't want to elope with you."

SUN: [Subtitle] "It's the only chance we have."

JIN: [Subtitle] "Your father would never allow it."

SUN: [Subtitle] "It's not his place to allow. It's our decision."

JIN: [Subtitle] "I will talk to your father. I'll make him understand."

SUN: [Subtitle] "You're saying that now because you don't know my father."

JIN: [Subtitle] "I know me."

[Jin gives her a white flower. She smiles and smells it and laughs a little.]


SUN: [Subtitle] "It's beautiful."

JIN: [Subtitle] "I wish it were a diamond. Someday it will be."

[They kiss.]


Back on the Island, on the beach, Jin begins walking, and subsequently stomping through Sun's plants. Jin walks away from Sun angrily, and toward Michael and Walt, who are at the shore-line. Sun yells at him, asking him what the matter is. Jin ignores her, and runs up and tackles Michael out of nowhere, and then begins repeatedly punching him in the face for no apparent reason. Walt immediately yells at Jin to stop, but he doesn't. Walt then tries to stop him, but Jin pushes him down. Sun yells at Jin in Korean, while he continues to beat on Michael. Walt begs Jin to stop, and for Sun, or anyone else for that matter, to stop him. Jin begins holding Michael under water as the tide crashes over them, trying to drown him. Walt begs Sun to do something, saying that Jin is going to kill Michael. Sun screams for help.


Walt and Sun scream at Jin to stop. Sayid and Sawyer run up, while Sayid tackles Jin, pushing him off of Michael, and Sawyer grabs Michael, picking him up out of the water. Sayid holds Jin back, and demands the handcuffs from the Sky Marshal from Sawyer, who takes them out of his back pocket, letting Michael go to help with Jin, and hands them to Sayid who cuffs one wrist and brings him to the plane wreckage, cuffing the other end to the wreckage so Jin can't escape. Jin continues to struggle, and Sayid asks Sun what happened.

Meanwhile, Jack, Kate, Charlie and Locke walk through the jungle. 

JACK: "Water's this way."

KATE: "How'd you find this place?"

JACK: "Luck."

[Shot of everyone walking into the caves, and looking around.]

JACK: "This is it."

LOCKE: "It's amazing."

CHARLIE: "Absolutely. [to Locke] It's totally you. [Charlie investigates a piece of plane wreckage.] Hey guys, shouldn't someone look through this stuff? Could be something useful in here."

LOCKE: "He's got a point."

CHARLIE: "I do?"

JACK: "Yeah. Bring me your bottles, and keep an eye out for any medical supplies. Drugs in particular."

CHARLIE: [nodding] "Drugs, right."

[Shot of Locke bringing bottles to Jack. Charlie looks fidgety and starts to walk away. He hides behind a tree, looking over his shoulder, and going for the drugs in his pocket. We hear the sound of bees.]

LOCKE: [to Charlie, off camera] "Don't move."

CHARLIE: [quickly putting the drugs back in his pocket] "Look, I was just going to take.."

LOCKE: "Do not move."

[Jack and Kate arrive on the scene.]

JACK: "What's going on?"

LOCKE: [shushing Jack] "He's standing on a beehive."

CHARLIE: "What's a beehive doing there? Beehives are supposed to be in trees."

JACK: "What now?"

LOCKE: "If he moves, he'll split the hive."

CHARLIE: "I don't like bees, okay? I have an irrational fear of bees. I think I'm allergic to bees."

LOCKE: "Please be quiet. [to Jack and Kate] We need to get something to seal the hive."

KATE: "To cover it?"

LOCKE: "Hurry."

[Jack and Kate leave. Shot of bees landing on Charlie's face.]


Michael talks to Sayid about what happened with Jin when he attacked him.

MICHAEL: "I'm getting tired of saying this. I was just walking the beach with my son, and all of the sudden this dude is all up on me. I didn't do anything."

[Jin yells something at them in Korean. Everyone on the beach looks tensely toward them.]

SAYID: "Surely there must be something you're not telling us."

MICHAEL: "Surely? Where you from man?"

SAYID: "Tikrit. Iraq."

MICHAEL: "Okay. I don't know how it is in Iraq, but in the United States of America, where I'm from, Korean people don't like black people. Did you know that?"

[Jin yells something at them in Korean again.]

MICHAEL: "So, maybe you ought to talk to him [pointing at Jin]!"

[Sun points to her watch and says something to them in Korean.]

SAYID: "The cuffs stay on!"

SAWYER: "A little louder, Omar. Maybe then she'll understand you."

HURLEY: [entering] "Guys, that Chinese dude is going to get pretty crispy out here. How long are you going to keep him tied down like that?"

SAYID: "He tried to kill Michael. We all saw it. The cuffs stay on until we know why."

[Shot of Michael, then Sun and Jin.]

MICHAEL: [to Walt] "Come on, man. Let's go."

[Everyone disperses, Sawyer stays looking over at Jin and Sun off camera.]

In Sun's flashback, she looks at her watch, while she leans on a railing, waiting. Jin approaches her.

SUN: [Subtitle] "What happened?"

JIN: [looking disappointed] [Subtitle] "Well, your father—your father gave permission."

SUN: [Hugs him excitedly, and then hits him.] [Subtitle] "Don't ever do that again! How did you?"

JIN: [Subtitle] "I reasoned with him. After a year of management training, and a year of work at the factory, we'll have all the money we need."

SUN: [Subtitle] "You are going to work for my father?"

JIN: [Subtitle] "It's the right thing to do. [Sun begins to say something in Korean that isn't subtitled, but Jin cuts her off.] No, I have to. It's temporary."

[Jin opens an engagement ring box with a big diamond in it.]

SUN: [Subtitle] "You can't afford this."

JIN: [Subtitle] "I can now."

[He puts the ring on her finger. Big smiles and hugs.]


On the Island, Sun is troubled by the situation. Back at the caves, Charlie continues to stand on the beehive, as Jack and Kate have returned with a suitcase to cover it.

JACK: "Okay. Just keep still, man. I'm going to try to cover the hive."

CHARLIE: "This is the most crap idea ever. It's never going to work."

LOCKE: "Now, pull yourself together, son."

CHARLIE: "It wouldn't be an irrational fear of bees if I could just pull myself together, would it?"


Jack begins to cover the hive, while Charlie smacks a bee on his face, causing him to slip and split the hive, releasing all the bees inside. They all begin to take off running from the bees. Jack and Kate head into the caves, while Locke and Charlie head in the opposite direction. Jack and Kate run, while removing their shirts to let the bees out. They stop, swatting the last few bees away. Kate stops, and is immediately frightened, noticing a skeleton right next to her in the caves, causing her to back away from it.


KATE: "Who is he? How'd he get here?"

JACK: "I can't exactly perform an autopsy, but there doesn't seem to be any major trauma to the bones. There's another one over here. Someone laid them to rest here."


KATE: "Who?"

JACK: "I don't know."

KATE: "Where would they come from?"

JACK: "Didn't you guys shoot a polar bear last week?"

KATE: "Yeah."

JACK: "Where'd that come from?"

KATE: "Any idea how long they've been here?"


JACK: "Long. It takes forty or fifty years for clothing to degrade like this."

[Jack finds a pouch in the clothing.]

KATE: "What is it?"

[Jack dumps a white stone and a black stone into his palm.]


LOCKE: [approaching] "Hello? Anybody there? Everyone alright?"

JACK: [nodding] "A few stings aside."

[Jack puts the stones back into the pouch.]

CHARLIE: "You two run away fantastically. Glad my diversion spared you. I was only stung several hundred times. Oh, and uh, someone left this [handing Kate her shirt]."

KATE: "It was, um, it was full of bees."

CHARLIE: "I'd have thought C's, actually. [Kate gives him a dirty look.] Sorry."

[Jack sort of laughs. Then Charlie sees one of the skeletons. Jack is looking at the other one.]

CHARLIE: "Bloody hell! Are these the people who were here before us?"

[Jack looks toward Locke, who then comes closer.]

LOCKE: "What are you talking about?"

[Jack gives Charlie a "shut up" look.]

CHARLIE: "Uh, just, you know, the, the, there could have been people here before us, right?"

[Locke looks toward Jack who looks away.]

LOCKE: "Clearly. But, who were these men?"

JACK: "Actually, one of them is female."

LOCKE: "Our very own Adam and Eve."

Sun attempts to attend to Jin's raw wrist, but he clinches and pulls away from her.

In a flashback, Sun enters an apartment, carrying shopping bags. She discovers a large, opened box on the couch and goes over to it. There are animal-like noises coming from inside. She pulls out a puppy from the box.


JIN: [Sun looks apprehensive, sad.] [Subtitle] "What do you think? Do you like it? I've been working such long hours, I thought you might enjoy the company. Of course, you'll have to train it, and feed it. Are you okay?"

SUN: [Subtitle] "Remember when all you had to give me was a flower?"

[Jin's cell phone rings, and he answers it.]

JIN: [Subtitle] "It's your father."

On the Island, Sun continues to look troubled by the situation. Back at the caves, Kate collects water into bottles and puts them in a pack to bring back to the beach.

LOCKE: "I think one of us should stay and help Charlie salvage the wreckage."

KATE: "You offering?"

LOCKE: "Sure. Give me a chance to get to know him a little better."

KATE: "We should move out. People are probably getting thirsty. [She sees Jack looking at the spring.] What?"

JACK: "Forty-six people need to drink a half gallon a day each. Carrying all this water back and forth is going to be real pain in the ass."

KATE: "You're starting to make me regret volunteering."

JACK: "These caves make too good a shelter just to be used for burial. Adam and Eve, they must have lived here. Their plane crashed, or maybe they were ship-wrecked. They probably found this place and knew they could survive here. Unlimited supply of fresh water, tree canopy keeps the temperature down, shields out the sun, [Kate is looking down, unconvinced.] the openings are narrow, easier for protection against predators. We don't need to bring the water to the people. We need to bring the people to the water. [Kate still looking unconvinced.]. I think we could live here."

On the beach, Walt is playing in the sand, while Jin is still handcuffed to the plane wreckage. Walt looks over at him, as Sun comes up beside him, and Jin gives Walt a dirty look, as Michael approaches Walt.

MICHAEL: [to Walt] "Hey, what are you doing? [to Jin] You say something to my boy?"

[Jin says something in Korean. Walt looks scared. Sun looks scared.]

MICHAEL: "Yeah, nice talking to you, too. Move it, Walt."

[They begin walking down the beach.]

WALT: "How come he doesn't like us?"

MICHAEL: "What?"

WALT: "You said people like him don't like people like us."

MICHAEL: "Oh, man. You know, uh, look, that's not true, and you know what, I don't think like that anyway. I was, I was angry."

WALT: "What did you do to him?"

[They stop walking.]

MICHAEL: "What did I do to him? You tell me? I've been with you since we crashed. Have you seen me do anything, to anyone? What kind of man do you think I am, anyway? What did your mother say about me?"

WALT: "She never talked about you."


MICHAEL: "You don't know anything about me, do you?"

WALT: "You don't know anything about me."

MICHAEL: "I know a lot about you."

WALT: "Yeah?"

MICHAEL: "Yeah."

WALT: "When's my birthday?"

MICHAEL: "August 24th. When's mine? [pause] Forget it, come on, man."

At the site of the plane wreckage, Sun tries to convince Jin to let her explain the situation to everyone.

SUN: [Subtitle] "Honey, please just let me go and explain this to them. Maybe they'll let you go."

JIN: [Subtitle] "How will you explain? Your place is by my side. And we will not explain ourselves to a thief."

In her flashback, Sun sleeps on the couch with her now, grown dog. Jin rushes in the door of their apartment, covered in blood, and heads into the bathroom, closing the door behind him, and waking Sun in the process. She follows him into the bathroom, concerned.

SUN: [Subtitle] "Are you alright? [She goes into the bathroom. Jin has a lot of blood on his hands and shirt.] Please talk to me. Are you hurt? [Jin is washing blood off his hands.] What happened to you? What were you doing? Whose blood is this? What were you doing? What happened?"


JIN: [Subtitle] "I was working."

SUN: [Subtitle] "Doing what? What do you do for my father? Look at me? Answer me. Look at me."

[He pushes her away. She slaps him across the face. He restrains himself, but gives her an angry look.]

JIN: [Subtitle] "I do whatever your father tells me. I do it for us."

[Sun leaves the bathroom. Jin continues to wash.]

In the jungle, Jack and Kate are heading back to the beach camp with the water. They stop to rest for a moment. Kate bends over to tie her shoe, while Jack leans on a tree, watching her, but deep in thought.


KATE: "You checking me out?"

JACK: "What?"

KATE: "No harm in it.."

JACK: "Trust me, if I was checking you out, you'd know it."

KATE: "Yeah, so then what were you thinking? Right now."

JACK: "Well, I sure as hell wasn't thinking that."

KATE: "Don't stop to think, just tell me."

JACK: "I was thinking that if we were living at the caves we could build a dam around that spring so that everybody could have fresh water and we could get the infirmary off the beach. You think it's a bad idea?"

KATE: "No, no. It makes sense."

JACK: "But?"

KATE: "No but."

JACK: "Good, because a lot of people are still hoping a rescue boat is going to show up. They're not thinking about their own safety. We're going to have a lot of convincing to do."

KATE: "We? You still haven't convinced me yet."

Back at the caves, Charlie and Locke continue to go through the wreckage. Charlie begins to wander off, and Locke follows him.

CHARLIE: "You following me?"

LOCKE: "Yes."

CHARLIE: "There's no need. I'm just going to the loo."

LOCKE: "Is there something you want to tell me, Charlie?"

CHARLIE: "I'm going to the loo."

LOCKE: "It's dangerous out there. Until we get back to the beach, I'm not breaking line of sight with you."

CHARLIE: "Bugger off."

LOCKE: "I know who you are. And I know what you're looking for. Drive Shaft. You played bass."

CHARLIE: "And guitar.. On a couple of tracks. You really heard of us?"

LOCKE: "Hey, just because I'm over forty doesn't mean I'm deaf. I have both your albums. Although, I thought that your Self-Titled debut was a much stronger effort than Oil Change. It's a shame what happened to the band. How long since you played?"

CHARLIE: "My guitar? Uh, eight days, eleven hours, give or take."

LOCKE: "You miss it? [Charlie nods] Well, there's a lot of wreckage. It might still turn up."

CHARLIE: "Undamaged? Still playable? I don't think so. I mean, I wish.. But, there was this bloke at the counter made me check it in."

LOCKE: "No."

CHARLIE: "Yeah. There wasn't enough room in the cabin.. Fascist."

LOCKE: "You'll see it again."

CHARLIE: "Oh yeah? What makes you say that?"

LOCKE: "Because I have faith, Charlie."

Jack and Kate continue to walk back to the beach camp, through the jungle, and they come across Sayid, who is chopping wood, and apparently dying of thirst. They sit down to have a drink, and Sayid tells them about what happened with Jin and Michael.

SAYID: "I think I'll let him sit in the sun a while longer. Then I'll take his wife aside, find some way to communicate. I think she knows why he attacked Michael."

JACK: "You're sure you don't want me to talk to her? [Sayid nods.] Okay. If you've got that under control, I'm going to start talking to people about the caves. Might be able to get a few to go with me before nightfall, start setting up camp."

SAYID: "You're serious? Is there a reason you didn't consult us when you decided to form your own civilization?"

JACK: "I'm only talking about moving into the valley."

SAYID: "Well, what happened to live together, die alone?"

JACK: "Digging in together is the only way we're going to survive."

SAYID: "Our best hope of survival is in being spotted by a plane or a ship, and for that we need to organize everyone to keep that signal fire burning while others scout the Island for supplies. Digging in anywhere else is suicide!"

KATE: "It is the only source of fresh water we've found, Sayid."

JACK: "And staying on the beach, in the sun without water? That's not suicide?"

SAYID: [grabbing his firewood and axe] "I'm not going to admit defeat."

Sayid walks away, whilst Kate looks at Jack. On the beach, Walt plays with Vincent, and Michael watches them. Jack, after returning to the beach, talks to a group of people, trying to convince them to move to the caves. Sayid approaches Michael.


MICHAEL: "Now what? I already gave you my statement, Sheriff."

SAYID: "I came to apologize. I shouldn't have been suspicious. You were the victim in the attack this morning."

MICHAEL: "I appreciate that, but I can tell you didn't come all the way over here just to say you're sorry."

SAYID: "People are seriously considering following Jack to the caves. I'd like to know where you stand."

MICHAEL: "Right here. I've got one priority right now and that's to get my kid off this Island. A boat passes, I'm not going to be on the hook for missing it."

SAYID: "Good."

Jack continues trying to talk people into going to the caves, as he passes by Jin, who is still handcuffed to the plane wreckage, and gives him some water, telling him to just drink a little at a time. He continues walking, and approaches Hurley, who is packing to move to the caves.

JACK: "Glad you're coming."

HURLEY: "Hey man, I go where the boar's at. So, what's up with you and Kate? You guys going to move into a cave together, or what?"

JACK: "Sorry, am I in high school?"

HURLEY: "Well, that wasn't a denial."

JACK: "Just get your stuff together. We've got to get out of here soon."

Meanwhile, Sawyer approaches Kate, who is sitting by herself on the beach.

SAWYER: "Well, well, well, if ain't the Belle of the Ball? So, what's it like having both the Doctor and Captain Falafel fighting over you? [Kate doesn't respond] Just call 'em how I seem 'em, Freckles. Truth be told, I'm not the only one wondering where you're going to weigh in on this whole moving off the beach thing. Are you going with the pessimists, or staying here and waiting for the rescue boats?"

KATE: "Are you going?"

SAWYER: "Well, that's the real trick, isn't it? We all pack up stakes for the caves and the next day a plane passes by, they're going to go on their merry way and be none the wiser. On the other hand, stay here, get eaten by boars, fall off a rock, not going to be anyone around to answer that 911 call."

KATE: "Still haven't answered my question."

SAWYER: "You didn't answer mine. And I asked first."


Michael is walking across the beach, heading into the jungle. Sun sits on the beach, and sees Michael. She follows him into the jungle. Jin is baking in the sun, still handcuffed to the plane wreckage. In the jungle, Michael begins chopping wood, and Sun stands behind some bamboo, watching him.

In her flashback, Sun is having a meeting with an Interior Decorator in her apartment, while Jin is on the phone, and Sun's dog is getting in his way.

INTERIOR DECORATOR: [Subtitle] "Your husband told me that money is no object to redecorate this place. You're a very lucky wife."

SUN: [Subtitle] "Yes."

JIN: [Subtitle] "Move the dog."

SUN: [Subtitle] "Let's look at the apartment from the bedroom, shall we?"

[They move into the bedroom, closing the door behind them.]

INTERIOR DECORATOR: [Subtitle] "Are you sure about this?"

SUN: [Subtitle] "Yes."

INTERIOR DECORATOR: [Subtitle] "You've taken your lessons?"

SUN: [Subtitle] "Yes."

INTERIOR DECORATOR: [Subtitle] "Do you realize that your husband and your father will do everything they can to find you? Are you sure you and your husband can't reconcile?"

SUN: [nods] [Subtitle] "When I'm gone will you care for my dog?"

INTERIOR DECORATOR: [handing Sun an American Passport] [Subtitle] "During your trip, at the Airport, at 11:15.. You make an excuse and walk out of the Airport. Bring nothing! A car will be waiting. For the first week your family will assume you've been kidnapped. You will stay out of sight until they come to think you are dead. After that you will be free to move wherever you want. Now, tell me when."

SUN: [Subtitle] "The Airport, 11:15."

INTERIOR DECORATOR: [Subtitle] "Again."

SUN: [Subtitle] "11:15. 11:15. 11:15."

On the Island, Sun continues to watch Michael chop wood from behind some bamboo. After a moment, she comes out from behind the bamboo, and approaches him.

MICHAEL: "Oh, great. Look who came to chat."

[He waves her off, knowing she doesn't understand him.]

SUN: "I need to talk to you."

MICHAEL: "You speak English?!"

SUN: "Yes."

MICHAEL: "What? You speak English? Why didn't you say anything?!"

SUN: "My husband doesn't know."

MICHAEL: "Why would you learn English and not tell your husband?"


SUN: "He has a bad temper. What my husband did to you today.. It was a misunderstanding."

MICHAEL: "No. I got it. Loud and clear."

SUN: "It was the watch."

MICHAEL: "Your husband tried to murder me for a watch?! [Michael removes the watch] I found this watch two days ago."

SUN: "It belongs to my father. Protecting that watch is a question of honor."

MICHAEL: "He calls trying to kill me in front of my kid honor?"

SUN: "You don't know my father. I need your help."

At the caves, Charlie tries to leave, going into the jungle. He takes his drugs out of his pocket, looking behind him, but Locke is coming from the opposite direction. 

CHARLIE: "Listen to me, you old Git. I'm going in the jungle. A man has a right to some privacy."

LOCKE: "Just hand it to me. You're going to run out. My guess is sooner rather than later. Painful detox is inevitable. Give it up now at least it will be your choice."

CHARLIE: "Don't talk to me like you know something about me."

LOCKE: "I know a lot more about pain than you think. I don't envy what you're facing. But, I want to help. [Charlie begins to walk away]. Do you want your guitar? [Charlie turns and comes back. He nods.] More than your drug?"

CHARLIE: "More than you know."

LOCKE: "What I know is that this Island might just give you what you're looking for, but you have to give the Island something."

CHARLIE: [giving Locke the drugs] "You really think you can find my guitar?"

LOCKE: "Look up, Charlie."

CHARLIE: "You're not going to ask me to pray or something?"

LOCKE: [points] "I want you to look up."


Charlie looks up, and almost begins to cry at the sight of his guitar, in its case, on the side of the cliff above, just outside of the caves.


Kate sits on the beach, as Jack approaches her.

JACK: "Hey. It's almost time to go."

KATE: "I don't want to be Eve."

JACK: "No one's asking you to."

KATE: "I just can't.. dig in."

JACK: "Why not? Someone else can stay here, keep a look out, wait for rescue. Why does it have to be you?"

KATE: "That's not it."

JACK: "Then what is it? Kate, how did you get to be this way? Just what is it that you did?"

KATE: "You had your chance to know."

JACK: "If you need me you know where to find me." [He exits]

KATE: [to herself] "You know where to find me, too."

Michael walks quickly up to Jin, who is still handcuffed to the plane wreckage. He is firm and confrontational, trying to make his point with body language because Jin can't understand him.


MICHAEL: "I know you can't understand a word, and normally I'm not the talking out loud type, but since I have a captive audience, I hope for your sake, you pay attention. I'm not exactly having the best month of my life. I barely knew my son, and now, I gotta be his daddy. And then, to top if off, I have a deranged Korean guy trying to kill me, and for what?! Look, I get it, right [takes the watch out of his pocket]? It's the watch. Mine broke and I found this in the wreckage, and I figured, "Hey, why let a twenty-thousand dollar watch go to waste?" Which is ridiculous, since time doesn't matter on a damn Island!"


[Michael chops the handcuff from the plane wreckage with the axe and frees Jin, who looks terrified throughout.]

MICHAEL: "Stay away from me. And my kid."

Michael walks away from Jin, and towards Sun, who has been standing nearby, watching the whole scene play out.


In her flashback, Sun is in the Sydney Airport. Jin waits in line behind Jack, who can be overheard talking to the girl behind the counter, Chrissy, about his father. Sun watches from a distance, and looks at a clock that reads exactly 11:15, the time she is supposed to leave the Sydney Airport.


Sun looks over to see a black car waiting outside for her. She tries to gather to courage to leave, and looks over at Jin, almost crying at the same time. She walks away, whilst beginning to cry, obviously contemplating whether or not to actually leave. She looks over at Jin again. He holds up a white flower, just like the one he gave her when the first were in love. This gesture changes her mind, and she walks over to him and joins him in line. He gives her the flower. She smells it and cries.


JIN: [Subtitle] "Something wrong?"

SUN: [Subtitle] "It's too beautiful."


Back at the caves, Charlie sits and plays his guitar, while Locke holds a big knife. Jack, followed by Jin and Sun, Hurley and other people from the beach camp enter the caves carrying their belongings.

JACK: "Hello?"

LOCKE: "What's this?"

JACK: "New tenants."

[Jin, Sun, two redshirts, and Hurley enter the caves.]

HURLEY: "Short walk. They lied."

More redshirts continue to enter the caves. Hurley sits, taking out his disc-man, and plays Are You Sure? by Willie Nelson, while Jack gets some water. Back at the beach camp, people sit around a large fire, while Sawyer adds another log to it. Walt and Michael sit together by the fire.

WALT: "Can I ask you something?"

MICHAEL: "Anything you want, man."

WALT: "When's your birthday?"

[Michael laughs, wrapping his arm around Walt and tucking him under.]


Sawyer, Sayid and Kate all sit together by the fire. Back at the caves, Locke, Hurley and Jack sit together. Sun sorts through some luggage, and pulls out a dress, holding it up to her body, while Jin watches. Charlie plays his guitar, while sweating profusely. Jack sits and looks at the sky.


Back at the beach, Kate looks into the fire.

Interesting Notes & Observations:
  • This episode has a weird "Previously on LOST". It shows Charlie with the group, camping after they hiked to higher ground to get the transceiver signal, the group talking about the MONSTER, and Michael talking to Sun, asking her to keep an eye on Walt before he went boar hunting. How is any of this relevant?
  • Okay. So, let me get this straight. Jack keeps incessantly asking about what Kate did, yet he can't even tell the chick the reason for his tattoos? Seriously, dude? You met Bai Ling in fucking Thailand. It ain't that important or complicated.
  • Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the whole point of eloping is that someone is not allowing it.
  • It turns out that Sun was actually right about the whole eloping thing. I think Jin and Sun would have been a whole lot better off if they had gotten as far away from her father as they possibly could.
  • In the scene were Sun and Jin are talking under the gazebo, notice the octagon-shaped piece in the middle.
  • I'm pretty sure that Sun and Jin kissing might've been the first ever on-screen Korean kiss on American television. It's pretty weird that it took that long for it to happen.
  • I love how Sun won't reveal that she speaks English even when Jin is on the verge of killing Michael for no apparent reason. Really selfless person there, Sun. You must be proud of yourself.
  • I'm pretty sure that "Yabo!" or whatever the hell Sun is yelling at Jin, means "STOP!"
  • Check out Sayid tackling Jin. Now, that's gangsta right there.
  • When they get to the caves, Jack tells Charlie to look for drugs when he suggests looking through the plane wreckage. Charlie takes that cue to immediately steps aside to do heroin.
  • Jack, you're a doctor. It shouldn't take you this long to figure out that the sweaty Rock Star is a drug addict. I'm pretty sure suggesting that he look for drugs is a bad idea.
  • Maybe it's just me, but I never heard that Korean people didn't like black people before this show. I wonder if that's really true. If so, that's ridiculous.
  • Uh, Hurley? Listen. Not all Asians are Chinese. There's a big difference between Chinese and Korean. Get a grip, dude. It's not that hard. Everyone else keeps calling them Korean. Just pay attention.
  • Jack says that it takes "Forty or Fifty years" for clothing to deteriorate the way Adam and Eve's has. This is incorrect, considering we found out that Adam and Eve, also known as Mother and Man in Black, were on the Island and were laid to rest by Jacob, thousands of years ago, in Across the Sea.
  • Maybe it's just me, but I'm not going by anything that Jack says. I mean, he's a doctor. What the hell does he know about clothing deteriorating? What does he think, he's on CSI? Give me a break, dude.
  • Also, if what Jack said was true, it is entirely possible that Adam and Eve's clothing may only have forty or fifty years worth of deterioration, but that the process was slowed down by the Island's healing properties.
  • From Lostpedia: Locke refers to the skeletons found in the cave as Adam and Eve. These were the first man and woman created by God, according to the Bible and the Koran
  • Really, Jack? Really? If you were checking Kate out, she'd know it? Something tells me that no woman has ever known when you were checking her out. You're too damn weird, dude. And besides, if a freaking woman asks you if you're checking her out when you're alone in the damn woods with her, on a deserted freaking island, YOU SAY YES. Even if you're not.
  • Oh, Jack and Kate. You two are so damn awkward.
  • And, Evangeline Lilly? Listen. I don't mean to nit-pick. But, if you were really carrying a huge bag filled with bottles of water, it would be a whole lot heavier than that. I'm just saying. I'm sorry. If you asked me if I were checking you out, I'd say yes.
  • Charlie tells Locke that it's unlikely that he'll find his guitar undamaged because the "..bloke at the counter made me check it." but we clearly see later, in Exodus, Part 2, that Charlie is clearly boarding the plane with his guitar.
  • From Lostpedia: Star Wars: When Kate asks Sawyer if he is going to the caves during their conversation, Sawyer delivers the line: "Well, that's the real trick, isn't it?" Han Solo, a commonly sited source of inspiration for the Sawyer character, delivers this exact line in Star Wars: A New Hope during the Cantina scene. 
  • Michael must've felt like such an idiot when he found out that Sun really spoke English, after that whole production when he asked her to keep an eye on Walt when he went boar hunting. Okay, now at least part of the "Previously on LOST" makes sense.
  • Oh, look at that. Jack is asking Kate what she did AGAIN. Mind your own business, dude.
  • From Lostpedia: At the end of the episode, Hurley is listening to the Willie Nelson song, "Are You Sure?" on his CD player. The chorus of this song repeats the question, "Are you sure this is where you want to be?", reflecting the survivors' choice of the beach or the caves, as well as Sun's feelings towards the status of she and Jin's relationship. 
  • Hey, Kate? Are you sure this is where you want to be?
    Answered Questions:
    • Soon enough. Soon enough, people. We will find out the mystery of Jack's tattoos. Oh, I just cannot wait for that explanation. I'm absolutely fascinated. I'll just try not to hold my breath until I get to Stranger In A Strange Land. But, I can't make any promises.
    • We found out who the real Adam and Eve were in Across the Sea. However, there is a clear difference between the scene in that episode where Mother and the Man in Black where laid to rest by Jacob, and what they found in this episode. Clearly, in Across the Sea they were laid side by side, and in this episode they are far apart. Take a look at how Jacob left them.
    • It is entirely possible that the Man in Black, after he was the Smoke Monster, separated he and his Mother's bodies because of their differences.
    • Jack theorizes that Adam and Eve weren't just buried in the caves, but that they actually lived there. He was, in fact, correct, as we found out in Across the Sea. Well, look at that. Jack was actually right about something. That doesn't happen very often. We also discover the significance of the black and white stones in that episode, being that Jacob and his brother played the game, Senet.
    • We find out that Sun was having an affair with Jae Lee in The Glass Ballerina.
    Unanswered Questions:
    • Why were the Man in Black and Mother's bodies moved?
    • Why would their clothing show only forty of fifty years of degradation?
    Favorite Moments:
    • Seriously, Jack and Kate's attempt at flirting is pathetic, which obviously makes me laugh to no end because I hate them so much, but in a nice way.
    • CHARLIE: "Oh, you guys have an inside joke. How absolutely wonderful for you both."
    • LOCKE: "It's amazing." CHARLIE: "Absolutely. [to Locke] It's totally you."
    • John Locke following Charlie around because he's hip to his game is pretty damn hilarious.
    • CHARLIE: "I don't like bees, okay? I have an irrational fear of bees. I think I'm allergic to bees."
    • MICHAEL: "Surely? Where you from man?" SAYID: "Tikrit. Iraq." Oh, snap.
    • CHARLIE: "It wouldn't be an irrational fear of bees if I could just pull myself together, would it?"
    • CHARLIE: "You two run away fantastically. Glad my diversion spared you. I was only stung several hundred times. Oh, and uh, someone left this [handing Kate her shirt]." KATE: "It was, um, it was full of bees." CHARLIE: "I'd have thought C's, actually. [Kate gives him a dirty look.] Sorry." 
    • I love how Jack laughs at what Charlie says there. Hilarious.
    • Walt giving Jin a dirty look when he's staring at him.
    • JACK: "Trust me, if I was checking you out, you'd know it."
    • HURLEY: "Hey man, I go where the boar's at. So, what's up with you and Kate? You guys going to move into a cave together, or what?" JACK: "Sorry, am I in high school?" HURLEY: "Well, that wasn't a denial."
    • KATE: "Still haven't answered my question." SAWYER: "You didn't answer mine. And I asked first."
    • MICHAEL: "Oh, great. Look who came to chat."
    • CHARLIE: "Listen to me, you old Git. I'm going in the jungle. A man has a right to some privacy."
    • LOCKE: "Look up, Charlie." CHARLIE: "You're not going to ask me to pray or something?"
    • MICHAEL: "It's the watch. Mine broke and I found this in the wreckage, and I figured, "Hey, why let a twenty-thousand dollar watch go to waste?" Which is ridiculous, since time doesn't matter on a damn Island!"
    • Jin showing Sun the white flower in the Sydney Airport, and her choosing to stay because of it.
    • WALT: "Can I ask you something?" MICHAEL: "Anything you want, man." WALT: "When's your birthday?"
    • Charlie has all the best lines in this episode.
    Overall Significance:
    • From Lostpedia: The title of the episode "The House of the Rising Sun" is also a popular American Folk song. The "house" in the song refers to either a brothel or a prison, and the lyrics are either from a female or male vantage point depending on the version of the song. The female version of the song tells the story of a woman who has been led astray by a rough sort of man, and she ends up working at a brothel. The male version tells the story of a man who suffers from the vices of gambling and drinking and ends up in a prison. In both versions, the narrator of the song is ultimately tied to the House of the Rising Sun, unable to leave it. Similarly, Sun was tied to her relationship with Jin and cannot leave him. A lyric from the song reads: "One foot is on the platform, and the other one on the train. I'm going back to New Orleans, to wear that ball and chain." This lyric was echoed in Sun's actions at the end of the flashback. At the airport, she was prepared to flee ("One foot is on the platform / And the other one on the train"), but rather than abandoning her old life, she returned to it ("I'm going back... / To wear that ball and chain").
    • This is not the first we see of Sun's interaction with plants on the Island, as she showed Walt how to brush his teeth in Walkabout. She will later plant a garden in Hearts and Minds.
    • This is also not the first time we see Jin destroy Sun's plants, as he also does so later in The Whole Truth, to keep Sun from being alone in the jungle after she is "kidnapped" by Charlie.
    • Walt asking Michael if he knows when his birthday is foreshadows Michael proving the he did, in fact, know by giving Walt a box filled with cards that he sent him on his birthday, which his mother saved, but never actually gave him, in Special.
    • This is the first time we find out that Sun actually speaks English. Kate later finds out in Hearts and Minds. The rest of the group, including Jin find out in ...In Translation
    • We also find out who Sun learns English from in The Whole Truth.
    • Michael remarks at how absurd it is that he took Sun's father's watch, considering that "Time doesn't matter on a damn Island." which is also ironic considering the fact that it foreshadows time discrepancies and time travel on the Island.
    • At the end of the episode, when everyone is sitting around the fire, and the Willie Nelson song, "Are You Sure?" is playing, the line "You've caused so many pain and misery." plays just as the camera pans over Sayid, which foreshadows the fact that he's an interrogator, as we soon find out in Solitary. It is also hinted at in this episode because Sayid is the one to do the questioning involving the situation between Michael and Jin. He also states that he will question Sun about the fight between them.
    Final Thoughts:
    • I remember Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, early on, saying that Adam and Eve would be significant and that at the end of the series, that we would discover the mystery and it would prove that they knew what they were doing all along. To me, this argument both works and it doesn't. Adam and Eve being Mother and Man in Black, who were related to Jacob, and date back all the way to the very beginning of the story of LOST, proves that it goes to the history of the beginning of the show, and was planted early on. But, at the same time, it also could have worked as anyone and been significant somehow.
    • For example, lots of people knew that Damon and Carlton said that, so there were a lot of theories toward the end. Some people theorized that it would be Jack and Kate, Rose and Bernard, or even Desmond and Penny
    • However, Adam and Eve being those people never made any sense to me personally, so I'm glad that it wasn't any of them. To me, the "Adam and Eve" figures being significant definitely had to be something historical, so it worked for me.
      I'll be back next week with my analysis of The Moth. Chill, baby brother.

      L                   O                   S                   T

      No comments: