16 July 2008

When, How, Why I got into LOST.

Back in 2004, I remember seeing the promos on TV with Dominic Monaghan. It was just out of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and I was a big fan of that, so when they were stapling the commercials with the "Guys? Where are we?" bit, I pretty much was destined to watch the show. And then when I realized that Harold Perrineau was also on it, I was hooked because I really liked him in OZ.

So, I watched it from the very beginning. When the Pilot, Part 1 first aired, and then when they replayed it, and over and over and over again since then. I've never missed an episode, and I've never been this dedicated to a television show. The important thing about Lost is that when it came on, I think a lot of people were so starved for a television show, especially on network, with substance. I'd barely watched anything in years before that, so when this show started, and you realized that it wasn't just a show about a stupid plane crash, and there were going to be all of these characters that you both loved and hated and so many fucking questions, it was like thank God already, something that makes me fucking think.

I'm not going to lie and say that I've loved every episode, because I definitely haven't. There have been episodes that I've hated, but in the end, I'm glad that I stuck with it, because there was a huge pay off. I love the direction that the show is going in now and it makes me so excited for the ending, even though I will be sad when it does end. It gives me something to look forward to, to obsess about, to drown the world out with because it consumes my thoughts completely and keeps me awake at night sometimes. I'm not sure if it's the thing that's making me crazy, or the thing that's keeping me from losing my mind completely. Perhaps, a little bit of both.

No comments: