02 January 2009

3.17 Catch-22

  1. Desmond, Hurley, Charlie, Jin, walking through the jungle, it's raining, Hurley and Charlie are arguing about a Superman vs. The Flash showdown, Charlie steps on a trip-wire, gets an arrow through the middle of the throat, suffocates, chokes on his blood, dies. From Lostpedia
  2. Hurley picking up the beach wire during the day, then it's night, a beacon blinking in the sky, Desmond and Penny photograph, Jin, Hurley and Charlie holding a tarp, Charlie and Hurley arguing, a parachutist, hanging from a tree in the jungle, Penny.
  3. Desmond has a flash, he asks Hurley where the wire is, the cable buried in the sand, if he knows where it is, says that it's important, that someone's coming.
  4. Desmond is praying in a Monastery, reading the bible, a monk comes in, gives him a robe, says he had a vow of silence, that it challenges his patience and faith, he didn't think he would last that long, that his path led him there, he's now one of us, welcomes him.
  5. "God tests our faith in many ways. So, as you well know, we have our own test here. A vow of silence that lasts as long as we see fit. This challenges both one's patience, and his faith. For some, it may last a week. Those we are less sure about, a month. Personally, Desmond, I never thought you'd last. And so now I stand corrected. For whatever reason, your path has led you here. And now you're one of us. Welcome, brother." Brother Campbell
  6. Desmond asks Jack for a medical kit, says he twisted his ankle, while Hurley tries to act coy, Jack gives it to him.
  7. Hurley asks if someone will get hurt, wants an explanation, Desmond says he saw a sequence of events, things that are going to happen, it's like a jigsaw puzzle, he saw Hurley pulling a cable out of the sand, not trying to stop something from happening, he wants it to happen, he's not trying to stop it.
  8. "So you're not trying to stop something from happening, you want it to happen." Hurley "[Desmond sees himself and Penny posing for their photograph, of him wiping Penny's tear at the stadium, of her kissing him in their flat] More than anything." Desmond
  9. Sawyer asks Kate if she told Jack about them, she says no, but he knows, he saw them on the surveillance camera in The Hydra station, he asks her to have sex, she says no, so he asks her if she wants him to make her a mix-tape. From Lostpedia
  10. Desmond says Jin was there with them in the flash, but doesn't know how to get him to go with them, Hurley convinces him to come with, says they're going camping, under the stars, with marshmallows, Jin agrees.
  11. Desmond goes to get Charlie, but he's suspicious, says he doesn't want him to go camping, that he had another vision of him dying, Desmond tells him that someone's coming to the island, that he's not going to die this time, Charlie agrees, asks to bring his guitar. From Lostpedia
  12. "Right, but with all due respect, you haven't previously told Jin or Hurley that they're gonna die." Charlie
  13. They're walking to the wire, whistling The Bridge on the River Kwai, Jin spots the wire, Hurley picks it up from the sand, Desmond has a flash of when he saw him picking up the wire on the beach, they agree to camp there for the night, Desmond tells Charlie that they're coming soon.
  14. Desmond and Brother Campbell are packing wine for Moriah Vineyards, Desmond says Moriah is the mountain where Abraham was asked to kill Isaac, but Brother Campbell says that God spared Isaac, that it was a test, a sacrifice.
  15. A man comes to see Desmond, punches him in the face, says he's sorry and leaves. From Lostpedia
  16. Kate is eating oatmeal, says it's awesome, she says it's strange being back, Jack borrows her spoon, is going to have dinner with Juliet, and Kate is jealous, so she has sex with Sawyer to compensate, she's crying, Sawyer doesn't mind.
  17. Jin tells ghost stories, Hurley gets scared, Charlie plays guitar, they toast marshmallows, Desmond shows Charlie the photograph of Penny, Charlie asks how he left her behind, he says he's a coward, he tried to run away and she tracked him down, he says that maybe she meant it, that she never gave up, spent the last 3 years looking. From Lostpedia
  18. "You know I tried to run away from her and she, she tracked me down. With enough money and determination you can find anyone, she said. And I used to wake up in nights, thinking if she actually meant it, that she never gave up, then maybe she's spent the last three years looking for me." Desmond
  19. They hear a helicopter, see it off in the distance, over the ocean, hear it getting choppy, crashes into the water, see a beacon, Jin says it's the pallet, Hurley says maybe they ejected, Charlie says you can't eject out of a helicopter, Desmond wants to leave now, but Charlie says they can't go into the jungle in the middle of the night, with Rousseau's death traps, that it will be light in 2 hours, Desmond says she can't wait, that they could be hurt, that's the way it's supposed to happen, Charlie says it's supposed to happen without him, but then Desmond has a flash and remembers that it was day time when they find the parachutist, says that they'll leave at first light, together. From Lostpedia
  20. Desmond goes to a house, the man who punched him, Derek, answers the door, his sister is Ruth, Desmond says he's a monk now, she says he left one week before their wedding, dated 6 years, disappeared, everything was paid for, closest to religious experience was Celtic winning the cup, Desmond was scared, he says he had a calling, drank too much, asked if hew was doing the right thing, woke up in the street, a man asked if he could help, he was a monk, knew we was supposed to go with him, a sacrifice for a great calling. From Lostpedia
  21. "I had a calling. Okay, yes, I was scared about the wedding, so I had a few pints too many, maybe I, I raised my eyes, and I asked am I doing the right thing, and that's the last thing I remember. And when I woke up, I was lying on my back in the street, and I don't know how I got there and, there was this man standing over me, Ruth. And he reached out his hand and he said to me, can I help you brother? And the first thing I noticed was the rope tied round his waist, and I looked at him and I knew, I knew, I was supposed to go with him. I was supposed to leave everything that mattered behind, sacrifice all of it, for a greater calling." Desmond
  22. Sawyer and Jack play ping-pong, Sawyer says that it's strange being back, Jack says that Kate said the same thing last night in the kitchen, that he had dinner with Juliet, Sawyer figures out that Kate used him because she was jealous of Juliet and Jack. From Lostpedia
  23. It's daylight, they go looking for the parachutist, the beacon, Charlie thinks Desmond is lying, Desmond says to trust him, Charlie spots a little Hula girl doll, they find a backpack in a tree, a Portuguese Catch-22, a satellite phone, the photograph of Desmond and Penny.
  24. "Look, mate. I've saved your life three times now, if that hasn't bought me your trust I don't know what will. Let's move." Desmond From Lostpedia
  25. Sawyer gives Kate The Best of Phil Collins tape, he asks her why she jumped him, says it's because she saw Juliet and Jack, that she doesn't have to use him, he calls her out on it. From Lostpedia
  26. Charlie says that Desmond thinks the parachutist is Penny, Desmond has a flash of Charlie getting pierced by the arrow again, it starts to thunder and rain.
  27. "You think its her don't you?" Charlie "Who?" Desmond "Your girl. Penny. You think it actually her who bailed out the helicopter." Charlie "Earlier, I hoped it. Now, I know it." "Why didn't you tell us?" Charlie "Would you come if I had?" Desmond "Of course. Why wouldn't I?" Charlie "I didn't wanna tell you because, I didn't want anything to change." Desmond "Fair enough. Look if whatever you're seeing leads to your girl getting us rescued, why would we want to change anything, right?" Charlie
  28. Desmond gets drunk on Moriah Vineyard's wine, Brother Campbell catches him, says it costs 100 quid, bottled 108 cases that year, says Desmond isn't cut out to be a monk, fires him, but Desmond says he heard the call, Brother Campbell says God has bigger plans for him, that he's spent too much time running to realize what he's running toward. From Lostpedia
  29. "I'm sure you did hear the call, but the abbey clearly isn't where you were meant to end up. I have little doubt that God has different plans than you being a monk, Desmond. Bigger plans." Brother Campbell "Oh, aye, I'm sure he does." Desmond "He does. You've just spent too much time running away to realize what you may be running toward." Brother Campbell
  30. The flash that Desmond had in the opening happens, Hurley and Charlie argue over Superman vs. The Flash, while there is a flash that appears in front of Hurley when he says the word flash, the wire, the arrow, but Desmond stops Charlie from dying. From Lostpedia
  31. "I'm moving as fast as I can. In case you haven't noticed dude I'm not exactly The Flash." Hurley
  32. They disagree about where the parachutist landed, so agree to split up, Desmond and Charlie, Jin and Hurley, go looking.
  33. Charlie questions if Desmond knew, if he was going to sacrifice him, Desmond says the flashes have to happen the way he saw them, says that maybe it's a test.
  34. "If the flashes don't happen exactly how I saw them, the picture changes. I was supposed to let you die, Charlie." Desmond "What's that supposed to mean?" Charlie "It means its bloody pointless. I keep saving your life, and what good has it done? Its just gonna keep happening again and again, maybe that's the point eh? Maybe its a test." Desmond "Test?" Charlie "Like God, testing Abraham, except I failed, because I changed what I saw." Desmond
  35. Jin and Hurley find the parachutist hanging from a tree.
  36. Desmond returns the robe to Brother Campbell, he says he can get a ride with Brother Martin into town, help loading the cases of wine for them before he goes, there is a photograph on the desk of Brother Campbell and Ms. Hawking in front of the Monastery. From Lostpedia
  37. Desmond helps load the cases of wine, a woman says her father sent the check, 10 cases of wine, it's Penelope Widmore getting wine for Charles Widmore, Desmond meets her, tells her he used to be a monk, she asks him to help her unload the cases in Carlisle.
  38. "You know I was told under no uncertain terms that the abbey wasn't where I was meant to end up. Just a, step along a path. You know, God allegedly has bigger plans for me." [On the Island, Desmond cuts free the chute, and the others catch it.] "Something tells me you don't entirely believe that." Penny "I suppose that's because I don't." Desmond "Well maybe they're right. I mean, just think, if you hadn't have got fired, we wouldn't have met, and then, how could you possibly help me unload these crates in Carlisle." Penny "Did I say I was coming to Carlisle with you?" Desmond "Not yet." Penny From Lostpedia
  39. Desmond climbs up into the tree to cut the parachutist down, he's sure it is Penny, the scene cuts back and forth between him cutting her down and meeting her, she falls from the tree, Charlie, Jin and Hurley catch her, Desmond says to wait.
  40. Desmond takes her helmet off, it's not Penny, but she knows Desmond. From Lostpedia
  41. "Desmond?"
Questions:
  1. Did Desmond change what happened because he saved Charlie?
  2. How did Naomi get the photograph of Penny and Desmond and why did she have it?
  3. Why was there a photograph of Brother Campbell and Ms. Hawking?
  4. What is their relationship to eachother?
  5. Was Brother Campbell someone to guide Desmond along his path to the island?
  6. Did Desmond really have a calling?
  7. Why doesn't Desmond remember what happened when had the call?
  8. Is Desmond's destiny to push the button?
Favorites:
  1. "You're insane, mate. Superman can fly around the entire planet in the blink of an eye." Charlie "Dude, if we're going by a pure footrace, Supes would get dusted by The Flash." Hurley "But, why would the Man of Steel agree to a sodding footrace?" Charlie "Er, for charity. And Flash would totally win cause he can like, vibrate through walls and stuff." Hurley "Oohh vibration, whatever would Superman do if he came up against a wall?" Charlie "Well, no smashing allowed." Hurley "No flying, no smashing, any other restrictions I need to know about? Perhaps we should fit Superman with a pair of Kryptonite..." Charlie
  2. "Something wrong Hurley?" Jack "Nah, uh uh, just, keeping Desmond here company. Cause, we're friends." Hurley
  3. "Well, you weren't around when I lost the bet, so you're...[Sawyer enters the tent to see Kate getting dressed]... Exempt." Sawyer "[Kate looks at Sawyer as he ogles] What's up?" Kate "Er, I wanted to ask you something." Sawyer "Yep? [Kate notices Sawyer ogling her breasts] I'm up here." Kate
  4. "You know, did you tell the Doc? About you and me?" Sawyer "No. But he knows. He saw us on one of those surveillance monitors." Kate Thought you said the camera was broken?" Sawyer "Well they had another camera." Kate "Perverts." Sawyer
  5. "Well now that, that's out the way, maybe a little afternoon delight. [Kate doesn't look impressed] It means sex." Sawyer "I know." Kate "Come on, Freckles, wait, now look, you need me to make ya a mix tape?" Sawyer "Yeah why don't you do that." Kate
  6. "Watch the master. [Hurley walks towards Jin]" Hurley "Camping?" Jin "Yeah, you know, like sleeping under the stars, fire on the beach. Marshmallows." Hurley "Camping. Yes." Jin "[To Desmond] Everybody likes marshmallows." Hurley
  7. Hurley, Charlie, and Jin whistling The Bridge on the River Kwai.
  8. The ghost story that Jin tells, Hurley getting scared.
  9. "Dude, I love the part about the bird. It was a bird right?" Hurley "[To Hurley] You." Jin "Me? Okay erm, have you heard the one about the Chupacabra.." Hurley "Chupa...?" Jin "Yeah, like a bear with spines..." Hurley
  10. "That's not bad, Des. Not bad at all." Charlie
  11. "We dated for six years, and the closest you ever came to a religious experience was Celtic winning the cup." Ruth
  12. "Well its a good thing a bloody shepherd didn't help you up, or as I suppose you'd be off with the sheep wouldn't you? Next time you want to break up with someone, Des, don't join a monastery. Just tell the girl you're too bloody scared." Ruth
  13. "What, your dad never taught you to use a hammer?" Juliet "No my dad taught me how to drink." Jack "Oh, well, at least it's something." Juliet
  14. "Hope I'm not interrupting. You two arguing over whose your favorite Other?" Sawyer "What do you want, Sawyer?" Jack "Well, what I wanted, Doc, was to inform you there's been some developments since you were AWOL. So tell me...[He holds up some paddles]...How's your backhand?" Sawyer
  15. "So where'd you get the table?" Jack "Don't you recognize it? Fell out of the purple haze. We don't play every hundred and eight minutes, the Island's gonna explode! [Sawyer wins the point] Finally, something I can beat you at." Sawyer
  16. "Dude, seriously I'm gonna have a coronary." Hurley "Actually, you're not." Desmond
  17. "It can't be Rousseau's, if it was Rousseau's a massive rock would be flying at my head right now." Charlie
  18. "Crap, it's dead." Hurley "Shocker." Charlie
  19. "The Best of Phil Collins, huh?" Kate "Don't get picky. And if Bernard asks, I don't know a thing about it." Sawyer
  20. "Well, it's a grand old team to play for, and its a grand old team to see. And if you know your history, its..." Desmond "Brother Desmond. What are you doing?" Brother Campbell
    "Well, I believe I'm, getting pissed on a lovely wine." Desmond
  21. "Who's Penny?" Jin "She's this chick Desmond used to date. And now he thinks she fell from the sky. So we're gonna go save her life, and she's gonna get us rescued. Dude, even if I spoke Korean it wouldn't make any sense." Hurley
  22. "You better drive safe Miss, this vineyard only makes a limited number of these cases each year." Desmond "Is that so?" Penny "Aye, it's because the monks are lazy. [Penny laughs]Yeah, its easier making grape jelly than wine." Desmond "And how do you know so much about monks?" Penny "Because I'm an ex-monk." Desmond "Really?" Penny "As of last night I was fired. [Penny laughs again] Ah, it wasn't that funny." Desmond "I'm sorry I never I, I didn't know monks could be fired. I mean of course if an ex-monk already has plans, then..." You know I don't usually get into cars with strangers." Desmond "Well in that case, I'm Penelope. Penny." Penny "Desmond. Very nice to meet you, Penny." Desmond
Notes:
  1. Jin's ghost story: "And the girl turned to the man who saved her and said, 'Thank God. I was afraid you were the Hook Man.' And the man looked at the girl with a smile and said, 'Don't worry, little girl. My hook is....STILL IN YOUR FATHER'S HEAD!"
  2. If Desmond wouldn't have gotten scared and left Ruth, he wouldn't have gone to the Monastery, wouldn't have become a monk, then he wouldn't have been fired from being a monk by Brother Campbell, which he then wouldn't have met Penny, fallen in love with her, met her father, Charles Widmore, broken up with her, and then entered the boat race to get his honor back, ship-wrecked on the island and net Kelvin, ending up pushing the button for the next three years, and eventually not doing so, causing Oceanic Flight 815 to crash on the island, which also causes Desmond to get rescued with them, and reunite with Penny. So, is this Desmond's destiny?

No comments: